Twin Spot Goby

NTidd

Premium Member
I purchased a twin spot goby not knowing that they like to be kept in pairs, the one I picked out wasn't paired. Can I add another one or will they just fight with eachother? Mine keeps swimming up to the glass an seeing his reflection.

Well I decided to try it, I bought some mysid shrimp too. They only had one 2 spot left, and of course she had her back fin torn off, but I purchased her anyways. I put her in and she went to the left side of the tank, and I reached and scared her over to the other side, they found eachother and began somewhat swimming together, then sat face to face for a bit, she even swam up and layed touching his face, this may work afterall :)

Good luck trying to keep them alive. They need a very established sand bed (which they will deplete the top layers) in order to have ANY success. The only tank I would consider putting them in is with a Seahorse or other extremely passive eaters. Sounds like you might have a little pair though. It is very cute when they sift together and do their little dances. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with them. They are amazing little fish!

neat fish, very beautiful. too bad they usually do not accept prepared foods, and then destroy our DSB and bury corals in the process. most starve in a month to 3.

good luck.

Yes, I have learnt that now, I didn't research properly before purchasing, now I am paying for it.

NTidd,

Twinspots just might eat flying fish eggs.

My mandarin likes them, and generally mandarins don't eat prepared food either.

Asain food stores usually carry them.

I sure do hope this helps.

Joe

salty joe said:
NTidd,

Twinspots just might eat flying fish eggs.

My mandarin likes them, and generally mandarins don't eat prepared food either.

Asain food stores usually carry them.

I sure do hope this helps.

Joe

i just tried this . turned off all the pumps and sprayed the eggs all over the sand.

going to give this a shot for a few days . lets hope it works : )

well there is no question that he eats it but it is more of what he comes across rather than actively seeking them out. the eggs are kinda neat because they are about the same size as my sand and if i turn the pumps off i can easily spread a coating of the eggs on the top of the sand. i think i'm going to mix the eggs with some mysis and hope that i can get him to respond to feeding time and actively seek out the food rather than just stumble across it.

I have never owned a twin spot goby. Very cool little fish. Is it very hard to tell female from male? If so, I wonder if you got two males and it was a conflict that sent one into hiding. I'm assuming that two males would not get along, but I don't know.

How long has your tank been set up?

If you could get your twin spot goby to eat and thrive on store-bought food, that would be absolutely outstanding!

tank has been up for over a year. i have no idea if i had two males or not.

I'll be impressed if i can get him to chase the food down rather than just be forced to find it as he sifts.

Dont know if this will work in your case but you might give it a shot. I have to suck up some brine shrimp in a turkey baster and squirt it at my mandrin. Dont know how calm that little fish is, but my mandrin is very tame to the baster now. I can push him with it if he is not close to the food.

Good luck, very cool little fish.

today i tried something new also

i have a bunch of Erick's famous fish food in the freezer so i tried that . this has tons of really small particles that coat the sand (with the pumps off)and he just went after it. I think he really liked that stuff .

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176530

While i think this is working it will be a royal pain in the butt if i have to feed this way forever and i most certainly will have to step up the water changes because of the extra feeding. My main worry is sooner or later i will forget to turn the pumps back on : ( i really hope to train him to eat mysis.

Last edited:
well he looks to be gaining weight and doing well . the only problem is this really is a pain in the butt (mainly remembering to turn off and on the pumps) and is adding more nutrients to the tank so i have had to step up the water changes . if at the 6 month point he is still alive i may try and find him a friend as everyone says they do better in pairs.

I may also buy a reef keeper to turn the pumps on and off for me so i dont forget someday.

well as of today he actively chases down any mysis that hits the sand near him . only problem is it seems the mysis might be a bit large for him and he has trouble ripping it apart.

I think i may have succeeded in training him to eat prepared foods. guess the only question now is, can they survive on a diet supplemented by foods that aren't their natural diet.

Finely mince the mysis. Use ailine tubing like a straw to get it close to him, rather than just filling the tank with it. Try and get it on something more balance, like formula 1 frozen.

PS I had one eating mysis...still died after about 6 months (no sunken in stomach either). Hope you have more success :)

if you mince up the mysis aren't you releasing most of the important fatty acids ? i was thinking on just getting smaller mysis.

just as a bit of info it has been almost a month since i got him.

11/12/05

Back