Two red coris wrasses together?

I have a small red coris wrasse (about 2.5") in transitional coloration that has been very healthy but has barely grown at all in the year that I have had him. Even his color transition, which was mostly but not totally complete (still has white dorsal saddles), hasn't progressed. When I got him I really thought he'd grow faster, and I really want a 4-6" full adult. My tank is a 260 FOWLR. If I added a mature adult 4-6" long is it likely that it would fight with the smaller one, or in this size tank do I have a chance of success? I don't know whether red coris is territorial or hostile to conspecifics. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

Google wrasse addiction. Quite a funny article about wrasses and how horrible red coris can be. Sorry, that's about all I can say about them.

Thanks - that's good article. I'm not to concerned about the problems with red coris that he mentions though. I have only very large rocks in my FOWLR and no inverts. The author actually said he kept three together, though it sounds like he added them all at once.

Didn't read the article, but I bet it says that they like to flip rocks over lol. Mine does that, but only the rocks on the sand bed. I got mine (adult coloration) because it was one of the prettiest fish I have seen. Good luck.

Mixing male coris wrasses can be a bit tricky, as oftentimes they di not tolerate one another, but that doesnt mean it cant work. Working against you is your current fish is showing transitional coloring. Working for you is tank size, size difference between the two fish, and the fact the smaller fish is the established one. You can try it and it may work, just be prepared to act if it doesnt work.

Back