Uncle99 65 to 180G Rebuild

When you upgraded to the 180, did you just transplant your existing tank into the new 180? what was your method?
add sand, add water, add old tank rock/corals/water/sand?
interested in the sequencing.

When you upgraded to the 180, did you just transplant your existing tank into the new 180? what was your method?
add sand, add water, add old tank rock/corals/water/sand?
interested in the sequencing.
Yes, a full transplant from a mature 65g, this tank kept running through the transfer period.
Added 100% new saltwater and sand and brought to temp.
Day one, added 1/3 of the rock and corals and my gramma, my Anthais pair and my orchid dottyback.
Waited one week.
Day 8, added the second 1/3 rock and corals and my clown mated pair, my mandarin and my yellow tang.
Waited one week.
Day 16, the last 1/3 rock and coral and the bosses, my Blue Tang, Sailfin and Kole.
Done.
65g drained and packed away.
Some flashing, a couple of chases, here and there.
Alk, CA and MG remain stable and daily consumption did not change.
Nitrate and phosphate was low due to the 100% new water so I just dosed upwards back to the 10ppm nitrate and 0.08ppm phosphate level, it’s sat at this level with a 10% weekly change, this level seems easy to keep.

Yes, a full transplant from a mature 65g, this tank kept running through the transfer period.
Added 100% new saltwater and sand and brought to temp.
Day one, added 1/3 of the rock and corals and my gramma, my Anthais pair and my orchid dottyback.
Waited one week.
Day 8, added the second 1/3 rock and corals and my clown mated pair, my mandarin and my yellow tang.
Waited one week.
Day 16, the last 1/3 rock and coral and the bosses, my Blue Tang, Sailfin and Kole.
Done.
65g drained and packed away.
Some flashing, a couple of chases, here and there.
Alk, CA and MG remain stable and daily consumption did not change.
Nitrate and phosphate was low due to the 100% new water so I just dosed upwards back to the 10ppm nitrate and 0.08ppm phosphate level, it’s sat at this level with a 10% weekly change, this level seems easy to keep.
Will be facing a similar upgrade and transfer soon! If my transition will be as smooth as yours, I'll be amazed! :LOL:

What is the single best piece of advice you can give me?

Have a plan, stick to it.
Transfers to larger waters is quite easy when you have an established system.

Back