Unidentified algae just appeared, want to preemptively strike.

MattieH

uc

These little sprouts of algae just began to appear in my tank yesterday. They're all over the sand bed, and beginning to appear on my rocks and tank glass. They're only about a millimeter tall at this point. Whatever it is, I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a real problem. Can anyone identify and let me know how to deal with it?

BTW, my tank has perfect levels - no nitrates or phosphates (API tests). I have a small CUC consisting of just a bunch of small assorted reef safe hermits, a few peppermints and a pistol. Nothing really algae specific because until now I haven't had any algae issues. Tank is about 6 months old now.

GHA responds to GFO. Get a reactor. It actually removes the phosphate that fuels it.

As of today trace nitrates (<5) but chaeto is growing so it's in there. Very little algae overall, actually. 0 phosphates. The stuff I was worried about hadn't really spread, so for now I guess I'll wait and watch. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

As of today trace nitrates (less than 5) but chaeto is growing so it's in there. Very little algae overall, actually. 0 phosphates. The stuff I was worried about hadn't really spread, so for now I guess I'll wait and watch. Thanks for the input!

GHA can get massive and nearly fill a tank, but it all depends on the phosphate load from water, sand, and rock. Some sources are worse than others.

Normal part of the new tank process.. (diatoms/green film algae/hair algae and even some cyano)
It will go away on its own provided you keep those nitrates/phosphates low..

Let it happen.. Its nature doing work.. :)

Back