Unknown death to Foxface

KosB21

About thursday my foxface looked like he had some sort of bacteria that was on his fin. I didn't know what it was and i had no time to go to the store and get some medication, so i hoped that he would be able to survive by this weekend. Unfortunately, he didn't. I examined him before i flushed and saw that most of his back fin had been rottened away. Can someone explain what my fish had so this problem will not occur again?

FWIW, I've been trying to get a Foxface for my 72 gl. bow front for months. My favourte LFS which, quar. all fish for at least two weeks, has stopped carring them unless, they come from a safe collection area like hawaii.

They said that the Foxface became so popular that most of the other countries collecters are using cyanide therefore, they come in looking good but, have been suffering from cyanide poison which, finally catches up with them.

Usually a bacterial infection of fins/body does not kill a fish in 3 or 4 days. Were you feeding plenty of macroalgae/seaweed? I have a Foxface, and it has been extremely hardy---I'm just wondering about nutrition and water conditions. I would guess that a round of antibiotics/dips in a QT would have been the proper course of action. How long did you have it and how big was it?

I feed it evryday seaweed. And i have had it for 3 months. It was about 4 inches long. He was in good condition, i just don't know.

Man, that is very strange ?? They are such a hardy species. I can't imagine what went wrong (cyanide may be). Are other fish doing well?

All the other fish are fine. The tomato clown, the chromis and the sixline look perfect. It Surprised me

Fox face and cyanide

Fox face and cyanide

After reading your original entry, I started thinking why hasdn't my LFS called me to tell me they had a Fox Face for me?

Well, I called and they said they had tried a couple of more order's and none of them made it through Quar. So, it is my guess they are probably correct on the cyanide issue (Hawaii not included). Anyhow that's just MHO.

I don't think I mentioned that I had a Foxface for several years that was a model citizen and took care of all Valonia (Bubble alges) and never saw any hair algea. The only reason I let it go was, he got too big for my 72 gl, BF. When I finally let him go he was at LEAST 8" in a 72 gl. tank. Not only a Nitrate factory but, very unfair to "Foxy". He is now in a restaurant aquarium that is 1500 gl. and is maintained by one of the top LFS in the Denver area.

oh so sorry :( i hate when things die

i went into petco the other day and to my surprise they had 2 foxface, one with the spot and one without
i really liked the one with the spot, im soo tempted to get him
he was eating nori so guess thats a good sign?
the thing that turned me away, not that its a big deal but i noticed the black in his face wasnt a true jet black but sorta black fading out, is this normal in some? or is this a bad sign? his eyes and skin looked fine, just a lil pale in the black face part...maybe hes old lol

I doubt he was old, unless he was close to a foot long!

Foxface can change their colors in seconds. Anywhere from a camoflauge pattern of black/brown/white to a solid brown to their normal yellow. It's difficult to tell much by their color, especially when you see them at the lfs, because they are easily stressed and so rarely show their true, relaxed color patterns.

Hi KosB21,

It wasn't the Foxface that I had for a few years that died, he grew to large for a 72 BF.

The two that both died within a month (Purchased one at a time) were both purchased as a replacement for the one that I sold due to it's size (Over 8's). In other words, I purchased one and it died in less then a month and, then I purchased another one and it didn't make it overnight.

All water parameter's great and I tried two different stores that were carrying them.

Yesterday, I talked to the LFS that told me about the cyanide problem and he said he has tried a few more times with the same bad results.

Since this store gets premium $$$$ prices for the fish they sell, I'm sure he would carry them if they weren't a problem

well, unfortaunately, my pecula clown is getting the same disease that my foxface had. I don't know how the got the same disease when the two fish are in different tanks but it is happening. The back fin looks like it is getting eaten away. Please if anyone knows what is going on help out.

Back