Upgrading pump on ATI Bubble Master 250

Western_reefer

Reef keeper
Hey everyone! I have a ATI Bubble Master 250 with 2 x psk 2500 with mesh mod and love it, but getting tired of the restart problems it has. Since the body style is very similar to the reef octopus skimmers, was wondering if upgrading to a VarioS-6S Controllable DC Skimmer Pump would be a good idea instead of getting a whole new skimmer that cost almost $1,000+?
Some specs of the BM 250.

Attachments

• bubble master 250.jpg
    bubble master 250.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Have you considered just buying a pair non mesh modded PSK-2500 impellers? That way you won’t have to deal with restart issues and can keep your skimmer essentially stock.

Read the replacement pin wheel impeller don't have as good performance as the mesh.. don't want to decrease the performance of them.. Was actually hoping to increase the performance by upgrading the pumps?

The mesh mod, while “innovative” at the time always felt a little gimmicky to me. In fact, I believe that they caused premature wear and tear on the impeller magnets shortening their lifespan. The top skimmer manufacturers of today are all using needlewheel impellers. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I never bought into the hype of the mesh wheel mod. I’m curious as to whether it was an actual improvement over the standard needlewheel or just marketing hype that has since been abandoned by today’s skimmer manufacturers.

When I had my BM 250 the best pump to change over to was the psk-1000 skimmer pump.

Back