UPS as power back up for an aquarium?

CrimsonGhost

Hey everyone! I was just thinking and thought I would put this question to the experts out here.

Has anyone heard of, or currently use, an Uninerrruptable Power Supply to back up their main system pump? If so, what wattage? I'm sure it's dependent on pump size so mine is a Rio 14H 700GPH.

I don't get a lot power flashes, but I like to be prepared. Anyone wanna weigh in with options or opinions? Thanks a bunch.

I ran one on my 46 gallon bow front for a long time. I used to live in Odessa and the power would flicker once a week. I had an old one that I used to use on my computer and it would run the pump for around 15 minutes. It was a small one.

Only reason I stopped was the battery started going bad and it would shutoff periodically without a power flicker..

I will get another one for my new tank. The are worth it in my opinion..

Dan

i am looking into getting one myself problem is the only last for something like 15-30 minutes. although i suppose that is enough

I thought that same thing, moon. It is for only a little while, but that seems to be plenty. Most of the power issues we have here usually last only a few minutes. If it doesn't last a few minutes it will be out for a long time..

They make a few UPS Systems that will run the pump for a long time like 45 - 60 minutes. Unfortunately, those are super expensive and not cost effective. I eventually took my return pump off the UPS and just ran my power heads on it. That way there was flow in the tank, and the power heads use next to nothing in regards to electric.

Crimson,
that is a massive unit, and should provide you with a good amount of backup power. I used to use one of the small surge protector units and got good time. As mentioned above, I switch to only hooking up the power heads and got a lot more time out of the supply.

Dan

At work we have one hooked up to the security video. Its great but over time the battery gets old and you'll only have about 15mins worth of juice. The first few tumes when new theyll last atleast 30min. Honestly, with those stats plus the ones everyones given, i dont think they are worth it. Your tank should be fine without 15 min of circulation, but when outages happen one cant predict how long theyll be for.

I use this..

2011-05-24194234.jpg

hooked up to a koralia evo 750 that only draws 4 watts so it can run for a few days. ;)

Yep

Yep

I thought that same thing, moon. It is for only a little while, but that seems to be plenty. Most of the power issues we have here usually last only a few minutes. If it doesn't last a few minutes it will be out for a long time..

They make a few UPS Systems that will run the pump for a long time like 45 - 60 minutes. Unfortunately, those are super expensive and not cost effective. I eventually took my return pump off the UPS and just ran my power heads on it. That way there was flow in the tank, and the power heads use next to nothing in regards to electric.

Crimson,
that is a massive unit, and should provide you with a good amount of backup power. I used to use one of the small surge protector units and got good time. As mentioned above, I switch to only hooking up the power heads and got a lot more time out of the supply.

Dan

+1 here..these things are a great idea. I would just moderate flow instead of some of the massive returns out there.

I use one on both of my systems, but I use them to run the powerheads. My Tunze powerheads draw<10watts on low speed, which is what they'd run at if the lights are out. That way a $100 UPS will run the powerheads for quite a long time. I figure my system will be just fine with no return pump for quite a long time, water movement and getting the surface of the water to ripple are the keys.

I run 3 power heads also and not my main pump. If you fins a UPS that will work but just not run as long as you would like do what I did. Buy a set of larger batteries with the same voltage (IE.. 6 V, 12V etc) and "outboard" them. Extend the UPS battery hookup wires outside of the case through a hole with a rubber grommet to protect from chaffing the wires. I got a couple of large deep cycle batteries and The run time is great and replacing the batteries is a breeze. Your battery size options are infinite so you can shop for the best price to capacity ratio.

Bad idea.

Using non-sine wave UPS will destroy your pump over time.

True sine wave UPS will cost over $500.

Buy 4 stroke generator for a lot less, make sure it has true sine way.
Its kind of useless to run your pump on UPS just for a few hours.

To go cheap, and its run a relay connected to the same power source as your main pump.

Connect the air pump (that runs on batteries) to the Normally close connection on the relay.

The idea on this.

When you have power, the relay will be on, and the air pump will be off.
When you lose power, the relay will shut off, and the air pump will come on, because you have the connection set to Normally Close.

I can help more if you guys need more instructions, this is cheap and automatic.
Buy the generator for long therm power outage.
Do not waste money for UPS running your main pump.

Back