New 10ft set up pending

benuk46

Hello all,

Just looking to get back into the hobby. Have been involved for years, but mainly freshwater rays and similar. Was running a 5ft reef tank for around 2 and half years before moving, but decided to sell up and re-start at a later date. Now, I'm ready to go again and just starting to explore a new project.
The new system will be 10ft x 2.5ft x 2ft, large mix of fish and coral. Fish will include several tangs and also couple of angelfish (aware of the risks here, main focus will be fish and corals selected with this in mind)

Am really looking for opinions here on an idea of successful stocking. What I was thinking, is to start and stock as fish only, the reason being although all precautions will be taken, I'm bound to get a couple of Ich out breaks along the way. Would rather not but it does then give the option to clear with a copper treatment whilst there's only fish in there. Obviously once the fish stocking is complete, I'll have to wait a good time to make sure I have this all out of the system. That theory works in itself but would it then be an almost impossible task of adding coral, etc once the fish are established, what I'm saying is will the risks to the coral being damaged be much higher doing it this way round?

Thanks

Hello and welcome! What a great project, can't wait to see pics of your progress. The dimensions are especially intriguing, can I ask where it will be placed? I'd establish the reef first; assuming you're committed to both corals and fish, I'd bet the fish would be much more likely to wreak havoc if you introduced coral afterward, and moderately less stressed from ongoing change in their environment.

Wow- good luck!

Back