Urchin eating sps

oshanickreef

Hello. I have had this urchin for a year or so and I have seen it eat dying acropora frags before but never alive coral. Then the past two days it was in the same spot on an acro which I thought was weird. After it moved I noticed a lot of the acro is dead. It for sure ate live acro tissue.

Pic of the urchin and coral below
baef68959b48fec15ce2b034ef9c539b.jpg
3e9d40472e944f7373c572b5bc6cebe1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I have had this urchin for a year or so and I have seen it eat dying acropora frags before but never alive coral. Then the past two days it was in the same spot on an acro which I thought was weird. After it moved I noticed a lot of the acro is dead. It for sure ate live acro tissue.

Pic of the urchin and coral below
baef68959b48fec15ce2b034ef9c539b.jpg
3e9d40472e944f7373c572b5bc6cebe1.jpg

Are you sure ita not eating algae off the sps?
I keep these urchins for years and my system is sps dominant. Never seen it actually eating the coral

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you sure ita not eating algae off the sps?
I keep these urchins for years and my system is sps dominant. Never seen it actually eating the coral

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Two days ago the coral looked fine and after the urchin left it has PE and I'm sure it will bounce back.

My diadema long-spine urchins do that all the time. I think, more by accident than intentionally, but whatever is on their feeding path gets milled down. Mostly they do damage to the flat encrusted portions of the corals but damage to branches is not unheard of either. So usually, when the algae are back under control, I put them in the sump or a different tank where they can't do too much damage.

Back