Urchin eats krill

WVfishguy

I was feeding my anemones last night when a piece of krill got into the water column. The krill got caught in the spines of my large (10-12 inches) Diadema urchin. It then sent out its tube feet, brought the krill to its mouth, and ate it. I've always read they will eat meaty foods, but that the first time I've seen it done.

The tank is 75 gallons with halides and a 55 refugium. It's mostly an anemone / weird inverts tank with no fish.

Does anyone here feed their urchins meaty food on a regular basis? There is plenty of algae in the tank and the urchin grazes continuously.

My urchin ate my died copperband. And left only bone! Looked like it was diped in strong acid [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a long spine sea urchin about the same size as yours. I give it a squirt of mysis shrimp once a month and about once every couple months cut up about a half of a Sally's Silverside (guts and spine cleaned out). Mostly I feed it seaweed (rubberbanded to a pvc joint) and when I need a break, I'll grab a softball size amount of chaeto from my sump and let him finish it. It lives in my second aquariums sump because once it got bigger it started eating zoas, xenia and green sinularia in my display tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back