using the Neptune DOS to do automatic water changes

That's really odd since the DOS is supposed to be a peristaltic pump... at least that's what I thought.

I guess not!
That sucks.
I always had my dosing containers above my GHL doser and no problems.

They are peristaltic. The problem is that p-pumps can still siphon. My only hesitation in the DOS is the 2 roller setup. If they release a 3 roller head, I will buy upgraded heads.

To summarize -

Can the DOS be used to access ("pull") water from a 55 gallon barrel of new saltwater approximately 30 feet away to do automatic water changes? The barrel is on the same floor as the tank, but the pipe would go from the barrel, up about 4-5 feet into the attic, run about 20 feet or so, then down about 8 feet into the stand where the DOS would be located.

No. But not because it can't pump that far, because from your description your stand is below your Barrel. Therefore it will siphon and overflow.

If you put the dose input directly in to the DT which I presume would be Higher than the high water mark in your Barrel, then Yes. The important part is that Where the water enters your tank is higher than the high water line in you barrel and air gaped (don't put the hose in the water). In Fact the DOS itself should be higher than the high water mark in your Barrel. Other wise any failure in the wearable tubing or fittings will result in a huge mess IMHO.

What I don't understand is how a peristalic pump could siphon...the rollers in the "stopped" position (when the pump is not functioning) should stop any movement of water within the tubing, no?

At any one time, at least one of the rollers should be compressing the tubing, no?

Help me understand how a DOS unit could cause a siphon, please.

im using DOS for AWC on my 220 DT. my SW reservoir is probably 20ft away from the tank but lower than my DOS. Best improvement to my tank ive ever done.

I use a Litermeter and it pumps 40 feet across the house from the reservoir in the basement up to my ground floor tank. They are very exact. Best thing I ever did makes my life a lot easier. I am sure it works with other pumps too.

Sorry to ressurect this thread, however I am running in a similar situation here.

I've been doing my AWC with DOS and it sure helps the headache of logging 10 gallons of water from my shed in the house and then from the house to the drain...

Now the part which I'm having troubles with... I've had RO tubing split twice on me at the dos nipples and I suppose this is due to t he fact that the tubing on the DOS is much larger than the RO tubing... so where can I purchase proper tubing for this device?

I don't quite see how this device can cause a siphon and I also think it can pump at quite the distance although I haven't tested, my RO barrel and new saltwater barrel are behind the wall in the shed.

Hi Ginu -

I just got some tubing from Home Depot. I am using it this evening, so I cannot verify that it is going to work, but it seems to be just the same as what came with the DoS. Most of the RO tubing I have ever used is much more rigid than the tubing I use for the DoS.

Siphoning can happen. I saw it on my system just the other night. You are best off if you include a Normally Closed solenoid (about $12 on eBay) and have it turn on at the same time that the DoS starts pumping and turn off when done. Problem solved.

Hi Ginu -

I just got some tubing from Home Depot. I am using it this evening, so I cannot verify that it is going to work, but it seems to be just the same as what came with the DoS. Most of the RO tubing I have ever used is much more rigid than the tubing I use for the DoS.

Siphoning can happen. I saw it on my system just the other night. You are best off if you include a Normally Closed solenoid (about $12 on eBay) and have it turn on at the same time that the DoS starts pumping and turn off when done. Problem solved.

Not a bad idea as I do have a solenoid kicking around. Neptune started to sell their proprietary tubing as well.
Problem I see with the tubing is that it will split if its not the correct diameter... as it has to be shoved on the nipple, then the screw is tight on the tube which will cause a split once the tube tightens up (what happened to me on two occasions now).
The Neptune tube is slightly wider vs the standard RO lines, so even-though it might seem to fit, it will only stress the tubing in time which will cause a split.

I do like the idea of a solenoid and might add this in my circuit as I just purchased a second EB8 which is empty at the moment.

Just make sure that you plug the solenoid into outlets 4 or 8. The other outlets do not support such low amperage and may leave them accidentally turned on. EB4 will support with all 4 outlets.

Just make sure that you plug the solenoid into outlets 4 or 8. The other outlets do not support such low amperage and may leave them accidentally turned on. EB4 will support with all 4 outlets.

Yup, I'm aware about that, thanks for the headsup almost forgot.

Here is the tubing directly from Neptune.

Not a bad idea as I do have a solenoid kicking around. Neptune started to sell their proprietary tubing as well.
Problem I see with the tubing is that it will split if its not the correct diameter... as it has to be shoved on the nipple, then the screw is tight on the tube which will cause a split once the tube tightens up (what happened to me on two occasions now).
The Neptune tube is slightly wider vs the standard RO lines, so even-though it might seem to fit, it will only stress the tubing in time which will cause a split.

I do like the idea of a solenoid and might add this in my circuit as I just purchased a second EB8 which is empty at the moment.

How did you run your Neptune tubing into the new saltwater container? I don't have my DOS yet, and am afraid that if I place the tubing in the container by it's self that it may get sucked up against the side of the container when the pump is running and not allow the water change.

How did you run your Neptune tubing into the new saltwater container? I don't have my DOS yet, and am afraid that if I place the tubing in the container by it's self that it may get sucked up against the side of the container when the pump is running and not allow the water change.

The pressure created by the DOS is very very small so the chance of it sticking to the side of the container is small, however there is a chance.

What I did to my system is take a left over piece of PVC tubing and drilled a hole on one side and entered the tube inside the PVC pipe, kinda halfway and that way it ensures two things, it wont get stuck to the side of the container and it acts as a weight keeping the tube close to the bottom and not ending up coiled up in the corner...

The downside or upside (depends on how you look at it) of this method will always leave about 1/2" water in the container which I'm OK with as I don't want to siphon the bottom out anyhow (due to stuff collecting and salt debris at the bottom of the brute can).

Been running 2-3 gallons changes each day with our DoS since March.

Love it :)

Been running 2-3 gallons changes each day with our DoS since March.

Love it :)

I have a frag tank I'm working on which will be plumbed to my main sump and I have to increase the water changes by a little bit... was wondering how well the DoS is taking larger water changes, and it looks like its no problem.

And honestly, its hard to beat this, not to mention I got it for roughly 200$:

21680634419_e0d1692405_b.jpg

Best piece of equipment hands down.

Mine just started over dosing the new salt water. Not sure exactly what is going on yet. I only noticed because my skimmer started freaking out cause the sump level got to high.

I really want to do this with the Apex DOS (dual head) but I'm afraid of a back syphon. Do you think that may have caused the over dosing?

No - first because it was technically a forward siphon, I think :). Secondly, it stopped on its own each time. I will be running a calibration and let you know ASAP, though.

However, it is a good idea to use solenoids on any AWC system, IMO.

Shawn

I'm not familiar with solenoids and how they work... more research coming. I appreciate you providing feedback on this! Thanks!

Back