Using the reef calculator

old salty

Genius
Premium Member
Dr. Farley,

In my continuation to achieve zen (or just a balance in my reef), I rely on your reef calculator to get me there. My question is in regards to the balance of Alk or Ca on the reef calculator.

Right now, my calcium is 430 and alkalinity is 7.5 dKH. Not bad, but the alk could be a little higher (lots of small SPS frags.) After reading your response to another post I made and reading the article on the balance act of the two, I am under the impression that if I want my alkalinity to be at 9.5 then my calcium also needs to be boosted a little bit more as well. In other words, am I correct in assuming that in order to maintain the alk at 9.5, I will have to increase the calcium level as well? According to the reef calculator, if my alk is 9.5, then the correct Ca to achieve balance should be 428 hence my misunderstanding.

I am happy that I have reached the point where my reef is growing so well, that dripping limewater isn't enough and that supplimenting is going to be a requirement. I'm even happier that I don't have to spend a fortune doing this

I would ignore the "balance" part of the calculator. Unless my mind has rotted even further, that's the real moderator's view as well. If I were energetic, I would write a new calculator without that part. As long as the parameters are in the acceptable range, you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I sort of figured that if anything, the calculator "balance" part would be more of a guide than anything else. Not to mention that the Salifert test kits I use probably aren't dead on accurate. I just purchased some Prestone Driveway Heat and a 2 lb box of baking soda. I am going to make the two part recipe and see where things go from there. I think what I will do first is add some of the calcium portion to see where that brings the alkalinity. What I think will happen is that the alkalinity will increase without me actually adding alkalinity additionally. Not that I expect it to skyrocket, just go up a few notches. This should be interesting.

Alkalinity shouldn't go up unless it's dosed. Adding calcium might reduce it a bit, but probably not much. Your calcium is fine; I wouldn't add much, if any, more.

Back