Using this AC Adapted With Ecoxotic Panorama Module- Safe?

reefshadow

So I've had an Ecoxotic (lighting) system for quite some time. For those not familiar with the brand, the system is modular, mine is based on 18 watt, 12 inch strips. I sunk quite a bit of money into this system last year, and have now decided I want to add another Panorama (or two) for more actinic. So on to the problem. The power supply maxes out at three of the Pro modules. I'm a bit loathe to buy another power supply just to run another Pro or two, since they are $75.00 bucks each. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Ecoxotic-Univ...UTF8&qid=1396239352&sr=8-14&keywords=ecoxotic

The Ecoxotic adapters are rated: Input: 100-240v, 50/60hz, 2.0A Output: 24v, 2.5A.

I did some digging around, and found an older Toshiba adapter for a laptop. It is rated: Input- 100-240V, 50-60hz, 1.5A. Output- 19V, 4.74A. I plugged all three modules in and they work.

Can I use this for just one or maybe two more modules, and is it in any way dangerous? Anyone have any brilliant DIY ideas for a cheaper adapter if this one is unsuitable?

TIA!

Should work fine, the LEDs will not run quite as bright, as I recall the Panorama modules use risistors to controll LED current so lower input voltage makes the LEDs much dimmer.

I'd go with a 24 volt supply, Pleanty of cheap ones out there in the 2 to 4 amp range.

Figure that you need 0.85 amps at 24v DC from the supply for each panorama module you want to run off it.

Back