Velocity T4 as basement return?

das75

Really??? This thing is tiny!

Started with a March 6 series, realized was big but got really good deal used. Switched to a Iwaki MD70RLT, excellent pump used for years but wanted something little more efficient so installed a Barracuda and have been running valved back to about 1000gph.

Got the pump itch again so selected a Blueline Velocity T4 based that I still would be able to get ~1000gph (9' vertical, 9' horizontal at 1.5" but for the last 20" where I'm a 1" line) Now that I actually got it and seeing how small, can't imagine it.

T4.jpg

no, it will not push close to the numbers you want. Did you look at the T4's flow chart before purchase? 800-1000 gph at 6ft is all it pushes. I have been using them for 10+ years & they are excellent totally silent pumps but not close to the power of what you have been using.

Dart or Snapper would be a much better choice

Not sure if a iwaki 40 would push enough water but possibly another option

I took a look with RC's Head Loss calculator using 10' up and 10' across and get 1000+gph and from the curve on Blueline's site (why's the plot is so small) looks like for 10' head is about 18gpm, again 1000+gph.

Had considered the Dart around the time I picked up the Barracuda. Reeflo had offered a Dart with a modified impeller and were suggesting 1000gph with my head. Hindsight with the nearly 3 years on the cuda at 240watts probably should had did the Dart. This time, though really can't say anything bad about the seals with Reeflos, decided wanted to go without (seals).

No you wont get a ton of flow from it. Nowhere near 1000 GPH ~ 10'. This is a pump for someone who needs a modest flow from a basement sump and needs it to be silent. The other advantage it has as a basement sump pump is it is water cooled and will help to heat the water. This can save you some electricity by taking the heating load off your heaters in a cool basement.

I used both a T3 and a T4 as basement pumps going ~ 10' to a 180G display. They both had the same flow despite what the curves show. I never measured but I would guess maybe 350 - 400 GPH.

If you dont need a silent basement pump there are better choices. I like the Panworld 150 PS and even the Gen-X Mak4 makes a good basement pump.

well that's a little disappointing. Might be looking for a modified impeller for my spare Dart.

Darts aren't good basement pumps with a 12' max head. Is there a mod that lets them work well under high head? This is for the 145G in your sig? A Panworld 150 PS would be really nice. Loved that pump with my 180G.

When I was trading e-mails a few years back with Reeflo, they were saying if I ran 1.5" to the base of the display they had a impeller for the Dart that would give around 1000gph.

I've got the CL on the 145g and since running BB I've been liking the extra 1000gph to get the detritus to the sump, but seems though your happy with the flow T4. About how much do you think you were getting from the Panworld?

IDK....The tank was an AGA 180RR with dual corner overflows and it seemed close to maxing out what they could flow. The water was up to the top of the slits (which are small). I had 3 return pumps on that setup. A Mak-4, the T4 and the 150 PS. The sump was right under the display with ~ 10' vertical using 1" Spa-Flex. The Mak-4 was the best flow/watt pump. Pretty decent flow, and only used ~ 100W. Very loud pump, but I didn't really care since it was in the basement. The T4 had the least flow for the power used, but was dead nuts silent and saved me some electricity $ by also acting as a heater. The 150 PS had the strongest flow, used the most power, and was fairly quiet.

Flow
150 PS---->Mak4--------------->T4

Noise
Mak4---------->150 PS--------------------------------->T4 (it is on?)

Power use:
150 PS----->T4-------->Mak4

I didn't notice any difference in skimming performance with the 3 different pumps.

I'm currently tankless and taking a break. If I setup another system, it will be a lot smaller. Current thought is a 65G with a 40B basement sump. I still have the T4 and will likely use it for the return pump. I also still have the Mak4.

Last edited:
Back