Another basement return question

scottwhitson

Looking for a return pump for my upcoming 120 DT with sump in the basement. Not looking for a lot of flow through the sump if i could hit 750GPH or so that would be ok. Should have around 14' vertical lift with 3 or 4 90* bends. Internal or external would be OK but looking for something efficient. I know the Iwaki and panworlds are good pumps but energy hogs.

A reply of mine from another thread"”

Converting to Basement Sump
To play devils advocate here- i literally just finished testing a Jebao DCP 18000. I tested with 1.5" sch40 17 feet straight up in my yard and got 1900 gph at 100% (130W). While this is around 1/2 of the stated stats on the box, it is much more than i need for my 180 gallon tank. I can add a T-manifold for a refugium, and frag tank and still hit 7X turnover on my DT.

My plumbing plan is a 5 foot vertical- 15 foot horizontal at a 1/4" per foot pitch- 7 feet vertical. 2 x 90 degree elbows and about 5 feet of flex sch40 in that run. I used a head pressure calculator to calculate the head and it came out at 18.2 feet.

im pretty happy about it. Although it is about 1/2 of the rating, for $129 its a great deal. plus it runs internal so i dont have to drill holes.
https://www.*********.com/index.php?posts/4656947/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neilp2006 did you do this testing? Did you have a flow meter? That's pretty decent flow at 17' vertical.

Yes, last week in my yard.

I premeasured 15 gallons (minimum for the pump to run and not suck air) marked the level with a sharpie, then added 35 more gallons in a 55 brute, marked it with a sharpie, then timed how long it took to reach the lower line. Repeated 5 times and took the average. Took 65 seconds on average.

ab4ea7d95a97378dfcb7471d5fe6fd9f.jpg
08db822babd6fdcb70291f9a5bd2fb4b.jpg
3c0824232f170a7f2c02aefc9b6e1164.jpg

I've been meaning to do it fir a while but we had major reno on our new house and a toddler running around. The weather finally warmed up so I took my chance.

There's a lot of misinformation about these "˜inexpensive' dc pumps, and I wanted some real world numbers that I could share.

A little disappointed it didn't hit full rated specs, but it's a third the cost of one of those other pumps, half the watts, cool running so no excess heat to worry about, controllable, and is more than adequate.

The thing that folks seem not to take into account with pump comparisons is the longevity/replacement cycles. Yes, something like the Jebao, putting out 1,900 gph for 130 watts at 15' (give or take) certainly 'seems' like a good deal ...... and perhaps it is. But how long will it last, and what are the implications of failure? We all make our own personal choices; for me it's always gong to be bullet-proof reliable over some energy savings. Something like an Iwaki will certainly cost you some watts, but it will also last 20 years. I get that most people don't last in the hobby, so perhaps a a 3 year pump is sufficient: but I'm a long-timer so I look for something more.

Yeah I am a little worried on the Jebao as I have had a few of there things in the past and they failed within months. The price is definently appealing though. I could almost get 3 of them for the price of an Iwaki but then I run the risk of it failing when I am out of town. However the super expensive Vectra is not doing so well from what i read either.

Yeah I am a little worried on the Jebao as I have had a few of there things in the past and they failed within months. The price is definently appealing though. I could almost get 3 of them for the price of an Iwaki but then I run the risk of it failing when I am out of town. However the super expensive Vectra is not doing so well from what i read either.

So I travel a lot for work and cannot risk that the main return pump not be truly reliable; though I am willing to roll the dice for less critical components. I'd not personally use any DC pump as my main, regardless of the price. I do use a Vectra M1 as my closed loop pump; but it's not as essential as the main. FWIW, it's the L1 that appears to be the problem; to the point that it's been redesigned.

Also keep in mind if you're playing the long game, an Iwaki bought every 15 years may still be cheaper then a Jebao/brand de jour repurchased every 3-4.

I travel a lot as well and my main reason for concern about the pump. Luckily my wife is capable of replacing the pump and when we both are gone then we have a fellow hobbyist that takes care of our tank.

Ca1ore what iwaki do you run? How's the noise level? If I go with an iwaki I think the 55rlt would be a good size, and it uses almost 1/2 as much power as the 70. Have you ran a 55?

Another basement return question

I'm actually out of work fir a year, so no travel, and with a toddler, new house, one on the way and an unexpected bathroom remodel, it was spend $125 and get things going or wait 12 months and pay for one of the big boys. I'll upgrade to an iwaki or reeflo (do they do internal- all I see is external- may have to switch sump room plans to accommodate an external) or something else when this jebao quits. If it last 2-3 years, that's a decent way to go compared to having my stuff stuck in boxes for 6,9 or another 12 months.

Last edited:
Follow up question-

Can an external pump be placed under a sump that's raised about 3 feet, and be gravity fed, or does it need to be in the same level as the sump tank? I'd run the pvc so there was a 3-4 foot horiOntal run before the intake- no sharp bends right before.

Just curious because Y'all have me planning for a iwaki/reeflo external to replace my definitely doomed in a year jebao, and I'm trying to figure out potential plumbing.

Thanks!

Back