VERY new here

This is so awesome!

1. How long on average does a new tank need to cycle? Not a reef one but just a normal fish one.

2. Does it speed up the cycle if you have live sand and rock, or 5% salt water from the ocean that already has some living things in it (and bad things too).

3. Have you ever heard of dropping a couple dead but fresh shrimp (say from Publix) into a brand new tank to speed up the ammonia build up (play sand and salt water just put in, and then the shrimp)?

I have hardy fella's from the ocean in my one 55-gallon tank and no one has died yet. They have been in there for 2 weeks. I'm a little scared I'm getting ready to have some sort of a spike though. It has an Emperor-400 on the back so hopefully it will keep everything healthy. I'm so excited to get these other tanks in and students are offering to bring in live stuff, but this PATIENCE thing is killing me! :D

....and bg, I have NO budget. I don't have 1 cent. I have a LOT of empty tanks with no hoods, lights, filters, powerheads, or anything on top to keep water from evaporating. So far I spent $250 out of my own pocket to get the one 55 running. I'm going to try to do a carwash in a couple weeks with my students. You can usually raise about $500 in 4-5 hours. My husband is a teacher too so we don't have lots of $$ so if he didn't see how excited I was about all of this, my kids would be motherless, lol. Fortunately he knows I've always wanted to do this and is doing his best not to be a grump when I've spent this $$. If it weren't for the $$, he's be as excited as me!

lady..Take what Bgdiving (Brian) says to heart. This man can grow more corals and breed and hatch more fish then all of us put together..And he does it without the big fancy equipment and tanks..In the garden world thaey would say he has a green thumb, not sure what they call it in the reef world....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6979995#post6979995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ladyfsu
I used to have webspace and don't anymore...is there a free hosting site you all use to post pics?

You have a free gallery on RC too.

Keeping it simple is my mantra. Latest tank has two powercords, lights and pump. I may add a backup powerhead though. I'm moving to the "more biology, less technology" school of reefkeeping.

Let's see if I do this right.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/ladyfsu/front.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/ladyfsu/backcounter.jpg

While I really hope to get nice tanks set up eventually, I am really glad to hear that I can maintain class tanks without hundreds of dollars worth of things.

The 55-gallon in the front is the one that I have local things in. The one next to it I hope to get some sort of a VHO light on it so I can keep some minimal corals/anemones and clownfish to show off symbiosis in action.

As you see, except for the one tank I bought things for, there are no lights, powerheads, filters, or even covers to stop evaporation. I'm going to go get SOMETHING cut for the tops at Lowe's. I think I am also having a few powerheads donated. I have filled many of the tanks with playsand and saltwater set to a .022...is that OK?

Also, the 55 that I'm maintaining for, I went to Honeymoon Island yesterday and grabbed a couple large rocks that were submerged and they have a couple dozen anemone's on them. I picked up the rock and saw some brownish gooey things and hoped that's what they were, and when I put them in the tank (after this pic) they perked right up. Fingers crossed as to if they are alive when I get there today!

I think I'm going to post more pics as things progress. Maybe you all can tell me what I can get for different tanks, and what I need to make them operable!!!!

EDIT: HEY!!! OK THIS WORKED THAT"S COOL!! BUT HOW TO I MAKE THE PICTURE RIGHT IN THIS THREAD INSTEAD OF A LINK?!?

I cut and pasted this from forum. I need any help I can get. JoKeefe from Hudson gave me some nice filters and a power skimmer yesterday. I hope to be getting some donations tomorrow as well from someone else. Sorry if I am repeating stuff from earlier; I can't edit after 60 minutes it says. You guys have such good information and I really want your input!!! This is what I hope to do with the various tanks.

backcounter.jpg

front.jpg

1. Local critters from beach scallop, hermits, starfish, snails, pipefish (if I can keep them alive ) crabs, small fish, and some odd purply spongy wacky 5-inch long thing that has now attached itself to a rock.......anything else?

2. Symbiotic/mutualistic coral tank (pink-spotted goby/pistol shrimp, clown/anemone, coral/algae) most of those are hardy and not too expensive. What else anyone?......oh yeah cleaner fish and something.

3. Gulf tank with gulf sponges/corals (I know very little about this but I DO have a license for this stuff, and know they need no major lights which is good on my budget).....maybe I could mix this with the the #1 tank?

4. Brackish tank w/e I can catch...hopefully TINY sheepshead, snook, pinfish, mangrove snapper. I am hoping all of these fish will be 4 inches or less but that will be tough.

5. Fish only tank ???

6. not sure yet

I'd like to keep a little grouper somewhere. I LOVE them but know what they can do to a tank. I have caught grouper in brackish water before at pilings...maybe I can acclimate one and put it in the brackish tank....a grouper eating a snook? That would be a good dinner!!

What's everyone's ideas for tanks, and what should go in them to run them decently?

OK I now have a couple pumps from JO, and hopefully today one tank is getting VHO lights he gave me... I still have no hoods, powerheads (except in my established tanks) or anything else but plan on getting some of this stuff this week.

He also gave me a grow tank and some macro's I'm going to try to hook up and run today (wish me luck, lol). It's cool!

Thanks!

....I also want to thank SlappySmack in Tampa. I bought a 10-gallon reef tank she had for almost nothing and she also gave me lots of free stuff like test kits and replacement bulbs. I sure the heck couldn't go out and buy this stuff! My students are going to have a great 4th quarter!

ladyfsu,

You asked about appropriate age for your son to learn to dive. My stepsons were the youngest divers ever to be certified in Connecticut. They were 10 and 11 (now 16 and 17.)

So does this thread mean that the ACROS club might begin to contribute some time and knowledge toward bringing our hobby and skills to schools and possibly non profit organizations? It could be the start of a very good thing. Can we discuss a limited step in that direction? The depth of wisdom and experience held by all of you is gigantic. Wouldnt it be rewarding if we could apply some of that toward helping others in small ways?

LOL ok my oldest of 3 is only 6...I guess I'll be waiting. That's what I thought though...as good as a swimmer as he is....I can't imagine him 20 ft down with a tank, lol....WHEW!!!

Well, I hope you all will be willing to continue to pass on the knowledge. My students almost fall out of their seats to see the hermits fight or the scallop "swim." I can't imagine when it's really set up and they see the "good" stuff! Seriously, aside from my family, I'm the happiest I've ever been doing this. This is what I've wanted to do all my life so I thank you for every bit of info you have!!

I might drive you all crazy soon...but if we weren't all crazy...we'd all go insane :) (didn't I hear that swinging on a hammock in Key West, Jimmy?).

LadyFSU, should be an interesting quarter for your students. I'll try to address some of your earlier questions:

1. How long on average does a new tank need to cycle? Not a reef one but just a normal fish one.

... That will vary dramaticly depending on the method you chose. I don't bother to cycle isnstead I do a rapid start with gradual ramp up. That's the method I used with my daughters 6th grade science classroom tank. Day 1 we added a few of bags of dry silica play sand(minimum depth 4+ inches) from Home Depot, added the salt water and then added 3 - 5 cups of LIVE SAND from ONE OF MY ESTABLISHED TANKS (sand could come from the Gulf, other reef Keepers WELL ESTABISHED TANKS or a local fish stores well established tank i'm not so sure about the live sand in a bag. Just remember you get both the good and the bad from what ever source of live sand you choose.) Day 2 we added a couple of fish and a few corals at the end of the wk we added some more corals so the tank was up and running for the first day of school. the method will work for either fish or corals just be sure to talk though the details with someone who knows how to do a rapid start set up.

2. Does it speed up the cycle if you have live sand and rock, or 5% salt water from the ocean that already has some living things in it (and bad things too).

... Yes but.... You'd be better off to use clean dry sand, either the expensive araganite stuff or the cheap silica play sand from Home Depot or Lowes for the base sand and then use live sand from the Gulf as your starter. Using 100% live sand can cause problems and turn a tank green for a very long time. I've started several tanks with live sand from the Gulf or boosted the sand bed population of critters with gulf sand (actually I collect the surface shell/sand mix usually from 20 to 80 ft deep water I prefer to collect from 40 to 60 ft because I believe the coralin algae from that depth does best under aquarium lighting but that's just my theroy) I would not add any Gulf sand to my existing tanks now, because I have to much to loose in my established tanks or system, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a brand new or fairly new tank. Stone crabs were the biggest problem I had from Gulf sand. At first you don't see them but after a while they strt eating up your clean up crew.

3. Have you ever heard of dropping a couple dead but fresh shrimp (say from Publix) into a brand new tank to speed up the ammonia build up (play sand and salt water just put in, and then the shrimp)?

...Yes, but can't say I care much for the dead bait bucket method. Have you ever shelled a bait bucket with dead shrimp????? I did leave a bucket of dead shrimp out in the sun once and it turned the water a very dark,bright kelly green and then I used the green water to do expements with sea squirt it's amazing how fast the sea squirts can clear the water. Your student would love that experment

....and bg, I have NO budget. I don't have 1 cent. I have a LOT of empty tanks with no hoods, lights, filters, powerheads, or anything on top to keep water from evaporating.

.... LOL, that is a big budget - you have lots of tanks! My daughters budget consisted of 55 gallon tank that had split it's center brace a few years ago and the former teacher had used it for a terariaum. Also the science teachers get to keep the air running over the wkends and holidays but that's the extent of her budget.

So far I spent $250 out of my own pocket to get the one 55 running. I'm going to try to do a carwash in a couple weeks with my students. You can usually raise about $500 in 4-5 hours. My husband is a teacher too so we don't have lots of $$ so if he didn't see how excited I was about all of this, my kids would be motherless, lol. Fortunately he knows I've always wanted to do this and is doing his best not to be a grump when I've spent this $$. If it weren't for the $$, he's be as excited as me!... You can get by perty cheap, if the tank doesn't have to look like and blend in with a bunch of fine furniture. The T8 noral out put floresent channel lights at home depot don't cost much and the phillips 6500 Kelvin daylight delux bulbs are only about $3 or $5 2 channal fixtures and 4 bulbs will grow just about any coral you want to grow as long you place them propperly in the tank.

Last edited:
WOW....wOOOt! THANKS!!!

Apparently I'm starting out on the right foot because I've already done some of what you said to the tanks!! That's awesome. I can do all that other stuff too I think.

Today I'm going to a place called Aquatic Visions that has great sand and things CHEAP!! It's a warehouse type place that apparently everyone who has a tank knew about except for me.

Also, the EMC (our local marine education place) told me I could come by and look through some of their old tanks and pumps. Any idea on what types of things I should be looking for??

I can't believe how nice and helpful everyone is!!

Do be carefull if you try to mix methods, you can get into trouble if you don't understand the rational behind each portion. If you attempt a rapid start set up with clean live sand and a little live sand from the Gulf for starter and add some "cured" live rock that really is only semi-cured. Ie all the dead stuff from the collection/ transport has fallen off or rotted off but the organisms that are going to die off because they can't survive in a tank environment haven't yet died off will do so over the next few wkks or so will die off and start rotting and spike the amonia levels and then you need to do the full cycle. :eek1: The same can apply if you use raw live rock you collected (are you allowed to collect live rock with your permit??) parts of it can die off and require a full cycle, and worse yet if you have live specimens in the tank they can be stressed by the spikes in amnonia and Nitrite and to a lesser extent by the later spike in Nitrate.

OK so between the few threads...I definately see some things have been done wrong. Anyways...here's what I have in my class tank. I found everything but that rock in about an hour at the beach (I bought the emerald crab). Most of the things in here have been in there between 2-3 weeks but I fear a terrible nitrite spike on it's way!

Please give me the common names of any of these if you can. And I want to thank JoKeefe on the Tampa forum who lives near here for donating many of the parts you see and will see.

I set the lights and refuge up yesterday.

tankandrefuge.jpg

Here is some strange thing I found in the sea grasses. It does not appear to be a sponge, and now that it has lights it has perked up. It seems to be totally attached to that dead coral. No clue how he survived what I put him through. I now have been told is is some sort of tunicat/sea squirt.
tunicateandstar.jpg

I know, I know. I need to get rid of this guy.
pinandpen.jpg

scallop and emerald
scallopandemerald.jpg

Sea squirt, pipe fish, starfish, conch
happytank.jpg

Cool geo rock I found with crazy fossilzed stuff on the back.
geo.jpg

THIS may be the killer to my tank. I picked this up and is full of anemones (hope the pics show them). The crabs and snails are mowing that lawn, and I can't wait until it's gone. I didn't want to scrub it off because I didn't want to kill the anemones.
anemonesonlocalrock.jpg

.....and finally, the tank I want to work on next.
55-right.jpg

I just thought I'd let you all know...I'm in love with live rock.

Everyday during my lunch I turn out the lights in the room and watch my live rock. LOL, I keep finding more things!! This is actually my favorite part of the tank!

BTW, I'm looking to buy several used but working powerheads. Anybody?

I appreciate the pm's and info I'm getting. Would you all please help me? PLEASE LOOK AT THE TANKS I HAVE AND THE STUFF DONATED. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS BEST TO GO WITH WHAT? WHAT YOU SEE is what I have...NOTHING more (except another 29 and 10 gallon). Not even test kits (yet). What tanks should go with what things...what else do I need> Please help me put this together. I would like lights too if possible, and maybe make a stand that holds 3 of these tanks. Ideas???? Someone donated a little money and I can build some stands and lights if I need too...or do you have a better idea?

I also had some big pumps donated to me that I don't know how to work that I don't have pics until tomorrow for, but that will be another day's project.

powerheads.jpg

filters.jpg

filters2.jpg

filterthings.jpg

stones.jpg

tubingstuff.jpg

I don't know what this is but it was new
whatisthisthing.jpg

and a box of stuff I don't know what it...I know what some of the powerhead attachments are I think...but that's it
idontknow.jpg

Back