Very New to all of this, Need help with filtering and skimmers

djk1

Hi everyone.

I was given a 45g corner tank with stand, I was given 2 skilter filters. What i need to know is, are these good filters or should i go with something else. I want coral and fish in the tank. I have great lighting but i have been told so many different things about filters and protein skimmers. LFS told me that canister filters are not the way to go and i should get some sort of wet/dry system. Freinds told me the opposite. The only poroblem i have is that i am putting this thing in a corner and would like to back it all the way to the corner, and hang on filters prevent me from pushing it all the way back. But if you think that hang on is the only way please tell me which brand. Money is not really a problem, i am willing to spend about 150-250 on filters and skimmers. If anyone could help i would appreciate it, thanks.

Your LFS is right, canister filters arent the way to go, as well as skilters. You will need more water flow than what the skilters can give you if you want a reef tank.
I also reccommend a wetdry (sump) to circulate water, this will give you the advantage of putting your heater, skimmer, return pump in the sump instead of crowding the tank with it.
With a sump you will also need a oveflow box, you wont be able to have the tank directly against the wall. The tank will have to be about 6 inches from the wall.

I would reccommend the Corallife skimmers, they are great at skimming and the price is right. Hereis what they look like and come with. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13924&N=2004+113771
You would want to get the 65 gallon skimmer.
Since you will have Liverock, that will act as your main filtration, so nothing else will be needed on that end.

What type of lighting do you have for the tank?

How many watts/ what Kelvin are the bulbs? Depending how what type of corals you want to keep, lighting is the second most important thing.

Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs with Actinic and 10000Ã"šÃ‚°K bulbs. 2 65 watt bulbs.

Also is there a certain wet/dry filter you can recommend because like a said i am very new at this and dont know much about it. I researched the skimmer and it seems like a good one. Tried to find a filter and just dont know which way to go

The light you have isnt that powerful and you would need a upgrade to keep certain corals like leathers, LPS,SPS.
How deep is the Tank, this also plays a part in which lighting is best suited for you.

Here are a few sites to give you an idea of whats out there.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&N=2004+22778
You would need model one,do not use the bio balls.
Here is a Actual berlin type sump.
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_filters_berlin_sump.asp?CartId=
You would need the BS-1 any bigger would be a waste of money.

This a pentagon tank and 3 of the 5 sides are 22 inches in length and width. the two corner sides are 22 inches in length but only 15 inches in width. What bulds should i upgrade to? Man it seems like i got my work cut out for me, by the way thanks for the info. you have been very helpful.

Lighting all consists of two things,
1. what type of corals you want to keep.
2. what your preference is
I have used PC's in the past and they worked out great. I had 4 96 watt bulbs over my 75 gallon reef tank with SPS,LPS,leathers,crocea clam.
Now after i upgraded to my 90 I have 2 250 watt halides and I will never go back to PC's or anything else.

Ther are VHO's, PC's, T-5's, Halides. There is a large variety of lighting, you have to decide what you want to keep first, how much you want to spend.
You also have to look at the depth of the tank, this will determine on how powerful the lighting or the lighting spectrum will have to be to actually get to the bottom of the tank to reach the corals on the sand bed.

Back