vinegar dosing

jaylensdad06

I know there is alot of threads on here about thé subject. my only question is how fast can u dose vinegar? that's the only thing I cant find...I found the recomendéd chat on dosing schedule. can u dose the while dose like u can with dosing mag. or does it have to be slow like ur dosing kalk? maybe I just over looked it but I cant fins this question. thanx for any replys in advance.

I think the charts available tell you what to dose per gallon every day. I'm not sure I understand your question about how fast. I think you start with 0.8 ml per 25 gallons every day and then follow the chart to keep in creating every week.

vinegar_lg.jpg

I've never dosed it but I would think divided evenly through the day. I'm mostly just following along to find out the answer though.

Don't do it....Dosing is the devil.....It screwed up my tank...Find out why you need to dose and fix it...For myself it was upgrading to a LARGER Skimmer....

ive read all of these....I already have thé chart..so ty for all of the replys...but my question was im gonna start 3.2 mls. if I dont have a doser is it ok to just use a syringe and dose the whole thing into my skimmer intake. and yes my skimmer is slightly undersized...work got real slow and it's taking alot longer to be able to afford the skimmer I want/need. im working on it but money dont grow on trees. and I really dont want to get rid of my tank.

ive read all of these....I already have thé chart..so ty for all of the replys...but my question was im gonna start 3.2 mls. if I dont have a doser is it ok to just use a syringe and dose the whole thing into my skimmer intake. and yes my skimmer is slightly undersized...work got real slow and it's taking alot longer to be able to afford the skimmer I want/need. im working on it but money dont grow on trees. and I really dont want to get rid of my tank.

Got it. Now I understand your question. Yes, you can dose everything at once daily, but you may want to do split it on two passes. Maybe half in the morning before you go to work and the other half in the afternoon when you return.

You can also place a container above your tank and use the drip method with an air line.

and yes my skimmer is slightly undersized...

As a carbon doser with decades of experience, I would urge caution. At the heart of carbon dosing is the use of an efficient properly sized protein skimmer exporting the resulting increased bacterial mass. If the increased bacteria load is not quickly exported then there is no benefit and harm can be done. You acknowledge your device's less than desirable performance with the aquarium's current configuration/load, yet making more "work" for it is what you are planning to do. Starting upon a path which may not be kept up with could have lethal consequences. It would be wise considering other options as there are different techniques that can decrease an aquarium's nutrient load without the potential undesirable side-effects.

I don't carbon dose but have considered starting after my tank has suffered a bit of neglect over the last couple of months. I was considering vodka but have a question about vinegar reducing PH (mostly curiosity).

I usually dose Randy's by hand every day. From what I understand the Alk part of Randy's raises PH. If I dosed Alk and Ca and then vinegar all one after the other would it then have less of an effect on PH if dosed all at once? Or would It cause a swing up and then back down and just be bad for the tank?

This is very true. I remember my skimmer pulling a lot more stuff when I was dosing Vodka. I have since stopped dosing and I think I resolved my issues with better flow and changing the filter socks daily. I would try these first before you go down the path of dosing.

As a carbon doser with decades of experience, I would urge caution. At the heart of carbon dosing is the use of an efficient properly sized protein skimmer exporting the resulting increased bacterial mass. If the increased bacteria load is not quickly exported then there is no benefit and harm can be done. You acknowledge your device's less than desirable performance with the aquarium's current configuration/load, yet making more "work" for it is what you are planning to do. Starting upon a path which may not be kept up with could have lethal consequences. It would be wise considering other options as there are different techniques that can decrease an aquarium's nutrient load without the potential undesirable side-effects.

I have to agree with ichthyman on this especially with an undersized or inadequate skimmer this could cause other issues. While I was carbon dosing it was feeding the bad bacteria in the form of dinos after a few months of no carbon source I'm finally getting the tank back under control.

What issues are having to want to start dosing ??????

Last edited:
i have to agree with ichthyman on this especially with an undersized or inadequate skimmer this could cause other issues. While i was carbon dosing it was feeding the bad bacteria in the form of dinos after a few months of no carbon source i'm finally getting the tank back under control.

What issues are having to want to start dosing ??????

+1

Thank u every1....I may wait untill I can get a bigger skimmer...1 other question....if I was to dose say a consistant low dose of vinegar say 4 or 5 mls a day...would that help my skimmer work more efficiantly? or is that still in thé same category of dosing is dosing.

It's pretty much dosing is dosing but small amount probably won't help your situation anyways but dosing is just food for bacteria that in return help with the nitrogen cycle that's keeps the algae and stuff without nutrients to grow. In your case with out a skimmer to help get the bad stuff out and to provide o2 for the increase of bacteria it could cause low o2 levels that can put livestock in danger. My case it fed the bad bacteria along with good and cause a severe dinoflagellate outbreak

Back