Vtail grouper- impaction

hrdneglcry

Premium Member
Hello, I have a vtail grouper. I've had him for over a year. I posted on R2R but thought I'd ask here also. He has been impacted and not eating for a month now. I've gotten good tips there and realize there isn't maybe much to do. Maybe if we are lucky if will break loose. I did try to massage the fishes stomach in hopes of breaking it loose. I wondered if anyone had any stories about a consitpated fish and if it ended well.

I tried a humble fish post to use epsom salt. I knew it was a long shot as its already saltwater. It said the epsom salt was reefsafe. I use the one tbs per 5 gallon. It decimated my sinularia. I did a 100 percent water change and the sinularia is still dying. They were huge green sinualria. Now they are just dying.
Oh, that sucks sorry to hear thatšŸ˜ž

Magnesium sulfate should not hurt corals. I have successfully kept reef at 2100 ppm to avoid algae. After 100% water change if they are still dying there might be some other reason.

I tried a humble fish post to use epsom salt. I knew it was a long shot as its already saltwater. It said the epsom salt was reefsafe. I use the one tbs per 5 gallon. It decimated my sinularia. I did a 100 percent water change and the sinularia is still dying. They were huge green sinualria. Now they are just dying.
Sorry to hear, but epsom salt (mag sulfate) should not harm corals/inverts. Unless undissolved crystals are coming into direct contact with them.

As for relieving constipation, another thing you can try is placing the fish in a QT and dosing Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex). Diarrhea is a known side effect of that medication.

However, it is also possible that this is a swim bladder issue. Read this: EMERGENCY FISH OPERATION: Venting a Swim Bladder - REEFEDITION

Back