want a clam

maroonclown

:confused: i have a 240gl tank with 100gl plenum below. 1 to 2 inches of sand in main tank. lighting is 4-4' vho's and 6-96 watt pc 10,000k. tank is only 6 months old. i have 20 or so corals 6 starfish, 8 fish, and about 200 clean-up crew. the water qualityy is in great shape.
would like to get a few clams(3). what would you recommend? my tank is also, 24" deep. shoul i deepen my sand bed a little before adding any clams or it doesnt matter because i need to keep them close to the surface with the lighting i have. thanks for helping.
dave s.

no help yet

no help yet

sorry guys i should of put i want a clam.
no help out there so, i guess ill try it on my own. ill keep you all posted in a couple of weeks.
thanks dave

Sorry I can't help you with your question as I don't have any experience with VHO or PC lights. Rather than me guess on the situation it may be worth taking a look through some of the other posts in this forum.

Last edited:
Keeping clams

Keeping clams

With the lights that you have set up you might have a hard time keeping some Maxima's and Corcea's. The easy clams to keep are Derasa's and Squamosa's. I believe that these clams are found in deeper parts of the reef and could acclimate to your lights with out a problem. If you would like to keep Maxima's and Corcea's, I would recommend you up grading to MH. These clams come from the high energy parts of the reef, and would be skeptical to bleaching in due time under low lighting.
A great place to by clams would be at Aquatic Reflections. Best of luck with the clams.

I agree with avenger, your lighting is a bit weak for light loving Tridacna maxima and Tridacna crocea clams. However you may be able to support Tridacna derasa under your current system.

6 starfish + clams would make me nervous. I suppose it depends what type of starfish they are.

I have to disagree with MiNd and xtremereefer here. T. derasa come from very clearwater, low turbidity, lagoonal areas where they receive strong sunlight all day long. Although found in moderate depths, the water is so clear and waters are calmer due to barrier protection. To quote Daniel Knop "T. derasa seems to do best when kept under 250- or 400-watt metal halide lamps". T. derasa that do not receive strong lighting will soon show signs of color loss. When purchasing a T. derasa, color plays a major role in the selection process. Clams acclimate alot more slowly to lighting changes than do corals and some may never regain their colors once they are lost.

Additionally, T. derasa are very rarely found on rocks.. they grow down on the substrate amongst rubble. Therefore, moving them up onto the rockwork to get them closer to the light will not make for a very natural habitat for them.

- JT

Back