Want a couple new fish; not sure of best way to add

Weboh

Right now, I have two clownfish and a beggai cardinalfish in my 30 gallon long tank. I only plan on adding two more. One of them I hope to make a sleeper dragon goby, the other maybe another cardinalfish.

I really like the look of my cardinalfish, but he doesn't seem very active and usually hides in the back of tank (not so much I can't seem him, thankfully). I'm thinking maybe he's just scared of the clowns and or lonely. Would adding another of his species make him more assertive, or would I just end up with two fish that aren't very active?

I'm thinking that if I do go with another cardinalfish, I should probably get the goby first so that there aren't two groups of fish picking on him before he has time to get used the tank.

What thoughts does everyone else have?

Honestly, I think you're fully stocked in a 30G.

Banggai cardinals are very territorial in captivity. I wouldn't add another.

Check out this article. More of a "rule of thumb", so there is some extra and less room depending on your tank husbandry.

http://clearwatersaquarium.com/article_stocking.htm#.WdjcQGiPKM8

But for a 30 long, it looks like 9 inches of fish is about your max. I add sump volume into that too, for my tanks. Remember, its full grown length that we calculate too. But depending on WCs, oxygen levels, back ups for power outages, etc etc, there is always a little more or less room.

* Possum Wrasse
* Neon Goby
* Royal Gramma
* Firefish (Helfrich's is my favorite, but pricey)
* Yellow Clown Goby
* Yasha Goby
* Two Spot Bimac Blenny
* Swissguard Basslet (if you're willing to spend some)

... These are some fish I'd add if I was in a situation like yours. I'd say avoid another cardinal, just because they don't tend to maintain interest and you're pretty limited on real estate. Good luck!

Honestly, I think you're fully stocked in a 30G.

Banggai cardinals are very territorial in captivity. I wouldn't add another.
What do you mean by territorial? How aggressive are they? I wouldn't mind it making them a bit more aggressive where they chase each around. When I had a freshwater tank, watching aggressive fish like gouramis and angelfish chase each other made it interesting. Now, if we're talking nipping at each other's fins or something, it's another story.
* Possum Wrasse
* Neon Goby
* Royal Gramma
* Firefish (Helfrich's is my favorite, but pricey)
* Yellow Clown Goby
* Yasha Goby
* Two Spot Bimac Blenny
* Swissguard Basslet (if you're willing to spend some)

... These are some fish I'd add if I was in a situation like yours. I'd say avoid another cardinal, just because they don't tend to maintain interest and you're pretty limited on real estate. Good luck!

Yeah, I was considering a Helfrich firefish, but I saw all the threads here about how firefish like to hide. Since I can only have so many fish, I don't want one I'll almost never see. I was considering a royal gramma, but after seeing what a tailspot blenny looks like, I have to go with that. It's so beautiful! Are blennys hiders? Would they move around a lot?

I agree that my cardinal doesn't maintain interest right now. I'm hoping adding another one will change that. See above.

Territorial as in they may kill each other. The only cardinals I've kept that got along well in groups were threadfin cardinals. But they're also delicate and hard to come by.

If you want a fourth fish, I think the tailspot blenny would be a good choice. Blennies are lively and entertaining to watch.

What do you mean by territorial? How aggressive are they? I wouldn't mind it making them a bit more aggressive where they chase each around. When I had a freshwater tank, watching aggressive fish like gouramis and angelfish chase each other made it interesting. Now, if we're talking nipping at each other's fins or something, it's another story.

Yeah, I was considering a Helfrich firefish, but I saw all the threads here about how firefish like to hide. Since I can only have so many fish, I don't want one I'll almost never see. I was considering a royal gramma, but after seeing what a tailspot blenny looks like, I have to go with that. It's so beautiful! Are blennys hiders? Would they move around a lot?

I agree that my cardinal doesn't maintain interest right now. I'm hoping adding another one will change that. See above.

The tailspot is an excellent choice! Hails from the same genus as the two spot bimac I recommended, Escenius. Very lively, with loads of personality :rollface:

I never experienced firefish hiding except when i put my hand in the tank. Had a regular and purple firefish in 2 different systems.

I never experienced firefish hiding except when i put my hand in the tank. Had a regular and purple firefish in 2 different systems.

How much live rock and stuff did you have for him to hide in? Did you have aggressive fish like clownfish scaring him into hiding? Did you have a nano tank?

Regardless, this is all anecdotal anyway. I've seen too many people say firefish hide in their systems, and I saw it happen with my Springer's Damsel. It was impossible to get him out too...

Back