WARNING: has any one seen these???

mummra100769

Premium Member
my wife and i picked up a dozen or so colonies of zoas to frag. 90% of them come from the Solomons. after a couple of days some started looking like crap. they started to pinch and shrivel just like they do. we started dipping tonight and came across some kind of flat worm (or baby nudi). they are very small about the size of a tentacle of a zoanthid nudi and very fast (they remind me of a car driving they are so fast). here are some pics.

they come if different sizes and colors. the main colors we saw were grey, blue ish, pink, white and cloudy white and pink.

DSCF0575.JPG

DSCF0590.JPG

DSCF0591.JPG

DSCF0592.JPG

DSCF0593.JPG

DSCF0594.JPG

thats my big head in the close up pics. they are so hard to get a good pic of mainly because of the speed at which they move and the small size. plus i broke my super macro lens.

i bet they are no big deal as of right now we are fresh water dipping and they come right off so maybe no one has freaked out before but there are none to just a couple on the zoas that are fine and the ones pinching up are covered. so it's the chicken before the egg. are they there cause the zoa is crippled or are they crippling the zoa? any one have any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have seen them in my tank from time to time, maybe every 4 or 5 months. They show up in a small cluster on the glass for a few days, then they go away. They appear to be an opaque light white color. I never noticed them on my corals and never witnessed any die off or decay as a result of them. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are safe either. I can't begin to speculate what they are. Do you have a mandarin or a wrasse in your tank? It would be interesting to see if they would eat them. Is it also possible to QT them once you have dipped them?

Did you dip them all when you initially brought them home?

Mucho

Wow,
I found a nudi on my orange zoos the other day, and it looked exactly like the orange polyps, but nothing like what you have there.
Sorry about your misfortune,
Drew

Back