WARNING: Wet pets RO water issues

gimmic

Just a heads up:
On Sunday I purchased some top-off water from wet pets in Norman. On a whim Monday night I tested the TDS and realized it was identical to norman tap water. I let them know and they responded they would look into it. Further tests verified it pretty much WAS tap water, including chloramine.

I contacted wet pets and they've been very good about offering to replace any water anyone got and help with damages caused. I have not taken them up on their offer yet but I am pleased with the public way(on their facebook) they have been handling the issue.

I don't know how long this has been going on, but if anyone here is using wet pets RO water, please check it!

Usually I run my own RO/DI but it's been down for a while now. This will finally motivate me to get back to relying entirely on my own RODI supply.

Wow I used there water for 6 months and didn't thing to test it. I have a brs rodi now but still good to know

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about going to kill some time there before work this weekend. Buy some rodi but I will wait I normally go to a place in moore but his pumps were down last time I was in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Keep in mind that Steve and his staff keep on top of things very well, if there was an issue and they know about it, its probably fixed, and since its probably new now, the water should be very good. JMHO

Hello All, this is Paula Hand from Wet Pets by Steve. I've rarely looked at Reef Central and have always refrained from posting until now, but I think I need to explain the specifics of what happened with our water so there won't be any confusion.

As Ian pointed out - we had a problem with our water that we sell. We don't sell RO, we sell DeIonized water. (We sell DeIonized Freshwater, Pre-Mixed Saltwater and Pre-Mixed Reef Water.) We have a commercial De-Ionization System that we pay Culligan to service. They come to our store every two weeks. We have used the same service for 8 years. Our unit has a meter on it that tells us how many gallons we have used.

On Monday night, Ian sent me a message on Facebook where he told me that he checked the water he had purchased and the TDS was very high. I checked the water at the store first thing Tuesday morning, confirmed there was a problem and called Culligan. We did not sell any more water until Culligan arrived (some time around Noon.) I posted on Facebook on Tuesday morning that we had a problem and offered to replace anyone's water and help with any other problems that might have occurred.

We conferred with our Culligan representative and he calculated that our unit will service 19,000 gallons of water. When he arrived on Tuesday and checked it, our unit had processed around 19,180 gallons in the 21 days it had been since they last serviced our unit; therefore, we used 180 gallons of water that was not DeIonized. (They were a week late in servicing our unit and we didn't catch it.) We estimated that we had used around 40 gallons of water in our store on Monday, leaving a difference of 140 gallons of water that we sold.

We looked at our sales history and determined that we had sold around that amount on Monday, so I posted on our Facebook page that we believed the problem began on Monday. I received a Private Message from Ian on Tuesday night telling me that he purchased the water on Sunday, so I updated my Facebook page to alert people that had purchased water on Sunday to dump it out and we would replace it. We have replaced several customers water, but otherwise have not had anyone with any problems. We use the exact same water that we sell, and did not have any issues.

I'm not sure what else we could have done - we found out about the problem, made every effort to inform our customers about it, fixed the problem, and offered to solve any other issues that came from this situation. We are working with Culligan to make sure that this doesn't happen again and we have added checking our TDS more frequently to our routine, just to be on the safe side.

We are truly sorry that this happened and apologize for not catching this before anyone was affected. We really do care about our customers and their animals. We have worked very hard to be a dependable, reliable store, we conduct our business with honesty and integrity. We appreciate your understanding about this and will be happy to discuss this issue in person or on the phone - you can reach either Steve or me at Wet Pets on most days (405)701-5530.

We really do care about our customers and their animals. We have worked very hard to be a dependable, reliable store, we conduct our business with honesty and integrity
That's true. It sucks that this happened, but it's good that Wet Pets seems to be the one making the most noise about it.

By the way, sorry I forgot to follow up.

Wet pets handled this in the best way possible in my opinion. As a long time customer, It is very much appreciated.

I had only posted this to hopefully help prevent anyone from adding significant amounts of unfiltered water into their systems unknowingly!

I have gotten water from them since and it tested at 0.00 ppm.

Last edited:
Back