Was able to treat a bloated six-line wrasse.

buschflip

TL;DR: I used Hartz Ultra Gaurd Rid Worm Liquid to treat my bloated six-line wrasse for parasites by soaking his food in it. Seemed to work.

So I noticed the six line wrasse I bought started to get a bloated belly. At first I thought he was just over eating, but it kept getting bigger over a period of about a month and a half. Eventually he started swimming weird and he seemed to have little seizures, but kept swimming around searching for food vigorously.

I looked around on online forums. I found several similar cases, usually with folks dismissing the original posters' concerns and then the fish eventually dying.

After some amatuer research I started soaking his food (New Life Spectrum pellets) in a cat deworming product called Hartz Ultra Gaurd Rid Worm Liquid.

After 2 days the seizures stopped, by the 3rd his belly noticeably went down. I'm now at day five and he looks normal, but i'm going to continue to treat him through the week for good measure.

Anyways, this bloat problem seemed common with wrasses so I wanted to leave this information incase it could help anyone. It didn't seem to have any negative side effects on my pair of clowns and royal gramma who have also been eating the pellets.

Hmm interesting. What caused you to think of using the dewormer? I don’t recall reading anything on that

Hmm interesting. What caused you to think of using the dewormer? I don’t recall reading anything on that
I was reading the write up for piperazine here. After looking at other fish products that required treating the entire tank or others I've used in the past that didn't seem to have an effect, I realized I had this product under my sink for the stray cats that live around my house. It's meant to go into the food so I gave it a try.

Back