Washing filter socks?

i turn mine inside out then throw them in the waster(without soap). Then i dunk it in a bucket of RO/DI water a few times to rinse it out. They are ready for uses.

200 micron mesh from BRS. Much easier to clean than felt type and last much longer for me. I don't have to throw in wash or use a spray nozzle any more. I just rinse inside and out in the kitchen sink because they trap the junk but don't hold it when rinsing like felt does.

Just my .02

200 micron mesh from BRS. Much easier to clean than felt type and last much longer for me. I don't have to throw in wash or use a spray nozzle any more. I just rinse inside and out in the kitchen sink because they trap the junk but don't hold it when rinsing like felt does.

Just my .02

sounds good to me

i have 8 or so of them .... i have a 5 gallon bucket , with about 2 cups bleach , ill take them out put it in the bucket and let it sit a week or so and then just wash .. been doing it this way for a long time . and no issues ... and im not using the washing machine , she would kill me :(

hmmmm just set up my sump and I think I will try the washing in a bucket thing and go from there if this becomes annoying I will do what the one person said about the micro mesh from BRS. thanks for all the tips and thanks to the person that started this thread

Stealth ninja necro bump.

Stealth ninja necro bump.

I have 3 I rotate and I've been washing them in a bucket every week, just too labor intensive.

For those of you who use a washing machine, does that shorten the life of the sock?

I'm considering getting a total of 12 socks and just doing them in the washing machine once a month

I have found that if I hang dry them over my sump, I have a large sump fan, they dry crispy before they start to stink.

I believe that if you don't get everything out of the sock, nutrientwise you are just wasting time.

I have 3 I rotate and I’ve been washing them in a bucket every week, just too labor intensive.

For those of you who use a washing machine, does that shorten the life of the sock?

I’m considering getting a total of 12 socks and just doing them in the washing machine once a month

I have found that if I hang dry them over my sump, I have a large sump fan, they dry crispy before they start to stink.

I believe that if you don’t get everything out of the sock, nutrientwise you are just wasting time.

It may shorten the lifespan some, but honestly they would still last a couple of years, I have enough that I swap the two of them out every two days and throw them all in the washer with bleach once a month

I used to throw them in the washing machine with some bleach then let them dry out. Then I discovered how much better mesh socks are. Then I discovered how much better filter cups are over both. Just throw some filter floss in it, and when it needs cleaning, throw the old floss away and add some new.

I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Rinse the next day and throw them in the wash machine. They come out looking as new. HP breaks down the dirt where as bleach removes the color.

I've also heard of people making their own socks to save money - assuming you have a sewing machine!

this is a really old thread, but i'll keep it going. . .

I bought a few yards of felt from Michael's and made my own. I either toss them if i'm lazy or throw them in the washing machine when my wifes not looking. If I remember correctly you get 18 4" socks from a yard or fabric so they are like $.25 each. Cheaper if you have a coupon.

Back