Waste RO Water?

alienz

I think this question might fall under being responsible.

I never really realized just how much waste water is created by an RO/DI unit. Does anyone recycle this water somehow? Use it for filling their toilets or something?

Not even sure what I can do with it, other than rinse some dishes before they go in the dishwasher.

Some people water their gardens, or fill clothes wahers with it. The water is not really "waste", it is arguably better than what went into the filters, since sediment and cholirine have been removed, but there is a higher TDS.

I let it go down the drain. There is no water shortage where I am, and water costs less than $3 for 1000 gallons. In the grand scheme of things, my waste water is making minimal impact. If I had a good sized garden, I would probably setupm some type of irrigation system though.

Mine goes into my 265g planted freshwater tank. That tank has the overflow plumbed to my garden. So it gives me free water changes then waters my garden!

That's very cool! I'm in an apartment now but hopefully one day I'll be able to set something similar up.

It is a lot tougher to reuse it in an apartment. Washing machine might be the only option, if you have one inside the apartment and near the RO.

I have one trash can for RO/DI, and one trash can for the "waste". My wife uses the "waste" for watering plants/gardens and I throw the extra into the pool :)

This might sound a little strange but I drink mine. Like someone mentioned this water has already been through a micron filter, carbon block, and GAC. I don't notice the increased TDS, but then again I am starting in an area that has low TDS from the tap. I don't use nearly all of it, but usually fill up a couple of gallons.

This might sound a little strange but I drink mine. Like someone mentioned this water has already been through a micron filter, carbon block, and GAC. I don't notice the increased TDS, but then again I am starting in an area that has low TDS from the tap. I don't use nearly all of it, but usually fill up a couple of gallons.

This reminds me of deuce bigalow. He drinks the dirty water while the fish get the premium water lol. But I drink mine or give it to the cat or dog.

I do the same, my water runs through 3 sediment and two charcoal filters, much better than tap. Also great for indoor and outdoor plants, your garden and your grass.

It is better than tap with regard to anything susceptible to carbon filtration, but any contaminants that aren't taken out by carbon are concentrated. It isn't terrible or going to kill you or anything, but I just don't understand why you'd want to drink that when you have ro available.

I'll drink the RO, thanks. The plants can have the permeate.

Wash car, soak dishes, clean floor, water plants, water yard, fill washing machine, clean shower/tub...

For those who live in apartments without plants...
Use the waste water to flush your toilet. To do this simply poor it into your toilet instead of using the lever to flush. Keep in mind you will still want to flush the toilet normally every once in a while to keep the reservoir water from getting stagnant.

There is no reason RO/DI waste should just be wasted!!!

Last edited:
I recently added a "T" to my waste line and a couple valves so I could send it either down the drain (in the winter) or out the wall to a large flower garden (non-winter months).... The first time it kicked on, I was shocked by how much water came out, glad to be putting it to good use, versus down the drain.

Can you add extra filters to lower the amount of waste? my RO is 3-1 waste to clean. I have been buying my water but I would like to make my own but I hate wasting water.

i just drain mine into the yard in attempt to let some recharge the water table that my well is taking it out of. gotta keep the cycle going

I'm very conservative when it comes to water and try not to waste any. The r/o is hooked up in the basement next to the washer, r/o goes into the container, waste goes into the washer. Working out very well.

Can you add extra filters to lower the amount of waste? my RO is 3-1 waste to clean. I have been buying my water but I would like to make my own but I hate wasting water.

You could send the waste line to another membrane and reduce the waste ratio to about 2-1 or less depending on the water pressure.

I run my waste line into my sump and when it get full it just pumps out into the yard. Help water the lawn on that side of the house

Back