water burns

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9441814#post9441814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfh_anderson
only thing in my tank is couple powerheads, everything else is in fuge.

add this to the equation: water conducts electricity so everything connected by water is also connected electrically

just get some aquagloves that way any chemicals on your arms from cleaning or showering dont come in contact with the water and you dont get stung

I use the gloves and keep a towel over my shoulder. As the glove comes out of the tank the other hand towels the water off the glove. As well I keep a couple of towels in front of the tank on the floor while I am doing maintenance.

Regards,

Pat

I bought some of those waterproof mats from Drs. Foster and Smith to keep the area in front of the tank protected while we're doing maintenance, they work great, and even saved us from a small flood when the hose we were using to refill fell out of the tank with water pumping out of it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9447080#post9447080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lotus99
I bought some of those waterproof mats from Drs. Foster and Smith to keep the area in front of the tank protected while we're doing maintenance, they work great, and even saved us from a small flood when the hose we were using to refill fell out of the tank with water pumping out of it.

Now that is a great idea. Are they very expensive? Do they come in different sizes and can you put them away easily? I'm assuming they roll up?

Regards,

Pat

I live on the gulf coast. Fish and swim in the Gulf of Mexico(saltwater) all summer. It stings and burns my skin and my husband says it doesn't his. When we camp I just make sure to bring fresh water to rinse with. So I'm thinking its just saltwater.

Just my opinion..

In addition to the gloves I think it would be a good idea to find out why your arms burn. If you are having some type of allergic reaction to the corals (zoas especially) it would be in your best interest to get rid of the ones that bother you.
There is always a time when you will have to get your hands and arms into your tank without gloves.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9441808#post9441808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
are you sure you don't have some stray voltage in your tank? if it's low enough it may cause your skin to feel burt and not a shock

That is exactly what I was thinking. My sister watched my tank and she kept complaining about getting burned- when I came back into town I realized there was a definite eletrical problem and she was actually getting shocked. I had a pump that was sending an electrical current throught the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9447293#post9447293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PatMayo
Now that is a great idea. Are they very expensive? Do they come in different sizes and can you put them away easily? I'm assuming they roll up?

Regards,

Pat

They're about $10 each (on sale currently, I think I paid $12 each). I got two to cover in front of a five-foot tank. They roll up easily. Great for when something you take out of the tank (filter sock, rock, whatever) drips all over the place. :) You can even wash them in the washing machine.

I like them better than towels as they don't bunch up or get under the door of the stand, and are better at keeping the floor dry. We just spend $2,000 on new flooring, so I consider it partly insurance :)

Back