Water change warning

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509290#post6509290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KDodds
FWIW, you can't blame the tank outright. It could really have been anything, including some "slightly off" chicken or hamburger. Heck, even some organic veggies can be high in E. coli. With that said, there are tons of pathogens in both FW and SW tanks that can infect humans. Usually you only see something like impetigo, tho, as most people don't actually drink their tank water. :lol:
That is very true but twice the same sickness, only one day after a water change.

Ya know if you fill the hose up with water you dont need to suck on it to start siphon. Hope you get better though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509380#post6509380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masson
Ya know if you fill the hose up with water you dont need to suck on it to start siphon. Hope you get better though.
Thank masson ,
One good thing about me been sick and stay home for three days from work i got to watch all the NFL games. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509380#post6509380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masson

masson, probably the reason people suck on the tube to get syphon is cuz it's easier than submerging the whole tube in the water, holding your thumb to the end and then releasing into the bucket. It's my reason at least.

Oh I just fill it up at the sink and walk it over. I hate the taste of salt water so much I created a way to not get water in my mouth when starting a siphon for a hob overflow lol.

I've found it fairly easy and quick just to use a small pump and drain the sump, replacing the drained water with fresh water rather than taking the water straight from the tank... I figure i've got a 75g tank, my sump/fuge holds about 20g.. draining and refilling the sump once a week is good enough...

i fill my siphon hose at the tap. i end up with a small amount of tapwater mixed in, but it's a small volume.

djr2001, If you replace the drained SALTWATER with FRESHWATER the salinity in your tank goes down. That's how I interpreted your post.

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you got so sick. I have also used my mouth before. I might have to rethink my water change practices after this. I am due for a water change today. Thanks for the heads up!

i used to get tons of salt water in my mouth too. I always run to the sink and spit and wash my mouth out. it's nasty.

I since got a cheap $8 siphoning thing at a LFS. I just pull it up and down real fast a couple of times in the water, and then the siphon starts. neat!

For as with a large BB tanks we do a large Water changes and had to get all the Dirt Out off the tank bottom.
I do over 40G water change every month I get many large chunks of corrallin algae stack in the hose so is I big jab to keep going back and and fort to the sink.
But I have to find a way to do it Safely.

Back