Water change warning

Zoom

Premium Member
A day after my monthly water change i got very ill.
I was in bed for three days everything was coming out from both ends and i was running a fever of 102 F.
I was diagnose with bacterial Gastroenteritis .
This happen once before but i was thinking it was just a stomach virus.
But this time was very severe.
Doctor suggested that i may have eating or drink something that was contaminated.
When i got home i start to think what I eat or drink that made me so sick.
I think i know now when i was doing my water change i lost siphon and I use my mouth to get it started again and on the process i most had swallow some water from my tank.
Just be careful.

ouch! sorry to hear about that!.i cant stand tasting salt water :D. that may come from a near drowning experience when i was little dont know.
heres how i start my syphons. i use a 5/8" hose for syphoning my tank. i completly submurge the hose in the tank, making sure to get out all the air. once thats done, i put my thumb over one end of the hose, put in the bucket and let go. it starts right up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6505345#post6505345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
Why did you swallow the water?
I may just had i little tank water in my mouth but it was enough to get down to digestive track and make my sick.
You don't need much.

I mount a magdrive as an evacuation pump next to the sump w/ a ball valve, piped thru the wall to a underlawn pvc pipe to an elevated portion of the backyard garden (to maintain water in the pump for startup) and attached to a garden hose so I can move around the output to what needs more water. Eventually, it will be rerouted to the outside sewer access. The inlet is piped to the bottom of the sump, shaped like a hangman's stand.

Instead of using buckets, I flip the ball valve and the pump switch. The mixing tank is rigged w/ an auto top-off and transfer pump so the whole water change event only takes 4-5 minutes. A lot of reefers do this to reduce the inefficiencies of using buckets. If you are in an apartment I can see how it could be hard to install permanent piping, but condo owners w/ tanks near the kitchen or bathroom might be able to run piping to a sink's drain pipe, or even to a rain gutter downspout.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6505510#post6505510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PsychoKnight
I mount a magdrive as an evacuation pump next to the sump w/ a ball valve, piped thru the wall to a underlawn pvc pipe to an elevated portion of the backyard garden (to maintain water in the pump for startup) and attached to a garden hose so I can move around the output to what needs more water. Eventually, it will be rerouted to the outside sewer access. The inlet is piped to the bottom of the sump, shaped like a hangman's stand.

Instead of using buckets, I flip the ball valve and the pump switch. The mixing tank is rigged w/ an auto top-off and transfer pump so the whole water change event only takes 4-5 minutes. A lot of reefers do this to reduce the inefficiencies of using buckets. If you are in an apartment I can see how it could be hard to install permanent piping, but condo owners w/ tanks near the kitchen or bathroom might be able to run piping to a sink's drain pipe, or even to a rain gutter downspout.

You use saltwater to water your lawn?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6505534#post6505534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
Steve when did you do this and are you feeling better now?
Today i feel a little better not 100% yet.
I did the water change last Thursday .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6505510#post6505510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PsychoKnight

I have a BB tank i need to get the Dirt, fish S*** out of the bottom of the tank so i use i hard pipe and a hose at the end of the pipe .
The hose goes in the bucket.

Thanks for the warning. I syphon with my mouth also. I'm usually very good at it, but I'll be cautious. I also create syphon with my mouth when doing water changes on my freshwater tank. Is it possible to get the same sickness from freshwater tanks?

Guys 8.00$ bilge pump at wally world, PUMP OUT AND BACK IN fast and safe. In my spearfishing circles we call it fish poison. Can do some real funky stuff both in the skin and internally. Always wash your hands before puting them in your mouth:D

I use a 6foot long tubing to start my siphon. That way, you'll be able to start the siphon and the water inside the tubing is only half way.

why not use a device from harborfreight.com tools for siphoning liquids (fluid siphon pump) 93290-0VGA this way no more sucking water

I just put the hose right on the output of my powerhead until the siphon is started. Works like a charm if you have 1/2" or 3/4" hose (not so well on the gravel vacuum.)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508411#post6508411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supertech3
why not use a device from harborfreight.com tools for siphoning liquids (fluid siphon pump) 93290-0VGA this way no more sucking water
That siphon devise looks good .
I will order me one .
Thank you.

FWIW, you can't blame the tank outright. It could really have been anything, including some "slightly off" chicken or hamburger. Heck, even some organic veggies can be high in E. coli. With that said, there are tons of pathogens in both FW and SW tanks that can infect humans. Usually you only see something like impetigo, tho, as most people don't actually drink their tank water. :lol:

Back