Water for my tank is gone.

When we first bought our house, it's newly deepened well kept going dry on us. Called a well driller to have another well drilled. He told us not to waste our money on another hole in the ground as there was nothing wrong with the one we had. He said what you need is to hydro-fracture it.

Its a process were they pressurize the well with water which in turn cracks the rock and lets more water in. Best thing of all was, if it didn't work we didn't have to pay. Somehow this well driller knew he was going to get paid and that getting water wasn't going to be a problem. After they hydro-fractured it, the water was within 6 feet of the well head. Never had a problem again.

You might want to look into it and see if its something that might work for you.

It sucks. Texas was that way 2 years ago. Hay prices were through the roof and quality was crap. 12% went up as well locally.

Then came a wet winter and a wet spring. Floods, and in the matter of a couple weeks everything was full again. It was quite a mess of water. Reverting to the mean can be tough.

I like the idea of using a diatomaceous earth filter. I had one of those years back and it would really strip out everything from the water column. Not too expensive and only ran it an hour or two on a tank every few weeks.

And then people might say well If your tank might bring you stress, why not get rid of it? There's the potential for stress in everything we do. But the reward is there as well. Otherwise life would be boring. Sorry. Rant over.

Yes--to everything you just wrote.

I'm in the upstate and can give you RO water. Just get some barrels. I'm in Belton. Let me know if I can help. I keep 20 gallons on hand but can produce you a lot more.

run rodi waste into washing machine....thats what i do. i have zero waste, but then again im only making about 10 gallons a week..

I have always pondered what to do with RO/DI waste water if I ever move away from where I am now. Here in NYC, I don't pay for water, so water changes and filling aquariums has never been an issue. I just have to watch the condition of filters closely.

There's a local grocer with an RO machine I've used in emergencies...they don't really advertise it, it's "for drinking"...but it's a big RO machine....the only problem is you have to explain to everyone that walks by why you're filling up trash cans with water...and make sure no one throws garbage in it

I used to do that. Not for aquarium purposes, but using the Culligan machine at the grocery store is a great alternative if you have one in your area. Just use the 5 gallon jugs instead of a garbage can. Sure, there is more labor involved, but you won't have to worry as much about them kicking you out or them telling you that you can't use the machine. :lolspin:

Publix usually has the RO water machine at their entrance. Pretty sure every town in SC has a Publix. Some walmarts have them as well. Not as good as RODI, but should work.

Sucks you experiencing a water shortage. Probably not that easy or quick to do, but switching over to the triton method would eliminate or reduce the dependency on water changes.

I'm in the upstate and can give you RO water. Just get some barrels. I'm in Belton. Let me know if I can help. I keep 20 gallons on hand but can produce you a lot more.
Thank you so much for that. I'm going to see how purchasing jugs works and cutting changes back to 20 gals. Its I hate the rejected water. I have been containing it and using for shrubs

Back