wave2K vs. Tunze Wavebox

Fishdude1984

wave2K vs. Tunze Wavebox

what are the pros and cons of each unit? witch has better features, life, reliability, efficiently, etc, witch one should i spent my money on?

i forgot to say that the wave2k is half the price of the tunze wavebox, is the tunze really that much better than the wave2k? or just over priced?

wave 2k is like a giant thing with a belt driven motor

the tunze is much much better and silent.

I've had my w2k for about a year. I replaced something in the unit -- I don't know what it's called -- after about six months. By the end of the year, it totally stopped working. Each time I had to take the unit out and knock over the coral and rocks and what a mess.
If I were to go again with a wavebox, which is really great, I definitely will not use the w2k.

Just my 2 cents.

The two are actually quite different from each other.

The W2k is more like a surge device, creating a high surge, then a low surge. The Tunze wave box actually rocks your entire volume of tank water. It all depends one what your looking for.

I have also looked into both of these units. Everyone that has the Wk2 says these should have bought the Wavebox. Some of the big differences are; the size, the noise, the Quality, and finally the product. When I say the product I mean Tunze. They are a well known company with many great product and will be easier to find parts if need be. Inclusion I would have to say save your money and get the Wavebox.

One should not forget to meantion one of the big drawbacks to the Wavebox - it shortens the life of your tank and/or stand. If you run a glass tank, you should know that running the Wavebox can slowly wear on the silicone joints and in 5-10 years can possibly cause it to break. The same problem goes for stands. If it isn't sturdy enough you can run the risk of it falling apart after a few years as well. I wouldn't risk it if I had a large glass aquarium unless I knew the aquarium was very well built. Even then I probably would much rather use it in an acrylic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9878311#post9878311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aninjaatemyshoe
One should not forget to meantion one of the big drawbacks to the Wavebox - it shortens the life of your tank and/or stand. If you run a glass tank, you should know that running the Wavebox can slowly wear on the silicone joints and in 5-10 years can possibly cause it to break. The same problem goes for stands. If it isn't sturdy enough you can run the risk of it falling apart after a few years as well. I wouldn't risk it if I had a large glass aquarium unless I knew the aquarium was very well built. Even then I probably would much rather use it in an acrylic.

Thats kind of an interesting post, do you have any links to articles or anything else that talks about wave devices shortening the life of glass tanks? As for the wave2k I have one and have to agree with some of the other posts. They are big and not very good looking, although they get covered in coraline and other stuff. The biggest complaint I would have on the wave2k is the noise. I would say its on the loud side. The flow in the tank is great, but I don't think it outweighs the downfalls.

I've seen it meantioned a number of places. I found it meantioned here in a quick search:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=3913043

From what I've researched about the Wavebox, even Tunze recognizes that this is a potential problem with certain glass tanks. Now if you have a really well built and level tank/stand, you probably don't need to worry about it. I worry about glass tanks a bit more than the average reefer as I've personally witnessed a huge tank spontaneously bust after years of service.

Also, I'm not saying that the Wavebox is a bad item. If I had alot of money I'd get one, but I would definately use it in an acrylic tank. Another point to meantion is that, if you are going to be saving up for awhile to buy one you might want to wait until the controller for the Vortech comes out. I can't seem to find the link to the video, but the Vortech and controller can make an amazing wave effect.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9881634#post9881634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tany
here you go...
http://www.reefcast.com/downloads.php

And that won't shorten the life of a glass aquarium? Geez-um crispies.

May as well put a trolling motor in the tank. In fact, that's not a bad idea. A $99 Minn Kota special, car battery and charger ... $200 bucks out the door and all the flow you would ever need. It's DC too so it should be easier to figure up an automatic controller. :eek2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9881911#post9881911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG

May as well put a trolling motor in the tank. In fact, that's not a bad idea. A $99 Minn Kota special, car battery and charger ... $200 bucks out the door and all the flow you would ever need. It's DC too so it should be easier to figure up an automatic controller. :eek2:

:) i cat beleive nobody has tried that i have an old 3 horse 2 stroke outboard im going to install it today look out vortech.

Obviously you wouldn't want to run it at full wave effect constantly. But if you have a BB and want to get rid of the detritus on the bottom of your tank... or you could try the outboard and have yourself some sushi afterwards :p

And I was going to sell that 8 HP Evinrude and use the money to buy a Tunze wavebox! What was I thinking. I have the ultimate wave generator sitting in the garage! Thanks for the idea.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9881911#post9881911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG

The general consensus is the Tunze wavebox will shorten the life of a tank by about 10%. Most tanks are built to last at least 15 + years and how many people honestly leave a single tank up and running for that long. I run three waveboxes on my tank and am very happy with the water movement. I have seen Wave2K's and there is no comparison.

Back