Wavebox pump

billyzbear

I have had this wavebox for a while now. Love it, works great. It's the older model. Sorry, I forgot the number on the pump. The empeller is wearing out. I need to get a new one. Don't really know where to get it. I think I remember reading Tunze makes a silent upgrade kit for these? What are some of my options if I wanted to make it stronger?

For an older 6260 or 6261 pump, you need drive unit 6200.700, if you had the older 6100.600 type drive unit, this will likely be quieter.

Also, to make it stronger, best bet is to upgrade to the current 6215 pump, but that is about a $300 upgrade and I am not sure it is worthwhile to gain about 1/4" in wave height.

I guess I should open it up again and right down the number on the pump so I know what I'm talking about.
Any other info needed?
Where can I get the empeller? And where do I go for parts?

Ok, now I understand. You said a lot of number that I didn't understand. I have a 6212 wavebox and 62 something stream, from memory that isn't that good. Your saying with this new drive unit it should be a little quieter. If I want more power then get 6215 pump.
Is there a way to connect just the pump to a tunze magnet holder if I decided to go with bigger pump and use this one outside of box?
Thanks for your help.

If you want to run it outside the box as a regular powerhead you need to either upgrade the power supply to 6200.800 or downgrade the propeller to 6100.700. As it is the pump would overload the power supply if run any way except the rapid on and off wavemode.

The 6215.200 is the current model pump and it is the only stronger pump available.

What did I do wrong? I ordered and installed a 6200.700. On my pump it says 6260.10. At first I installed new upper bushing, I don't understand how to get that lower bushing out. Didn't really mess with it much. It wouldn't work, shut down and alarm would sound. I installed old upper bushing and it works. Wow, it has way more power. The bummer is it's way loud. Too loud and set at min. power setting.
Please advise.

The manual shows using a screw to remove part 3000.610 which we term the upper bearing since it is at the top of the motor block, this is the part at the bottom of the hole. You want to be sure it is not locked in by calcium (soak in vinegar overnight) and a 3" #12 deck screw will do the trick, otherwise a pick tool or small needlenose will work. In general you need to replace all parts as the fit of these parts has changed over the years as an ongoing evolution of balancing noise with calcium build up, looser fit = more noise, less calcium rapid calcium build up. After you change all parts, it may be a bit noisier for the first 2 weeks, as a general rule the noise drops 50% over the first two weeks and a further 50% over the next 4-6 weeks as the parts seat and wear in. This link is for a skimmer pump/powerhead, but the gist on the bearings 3000.610 and 3000.620 is the same.

http://www.tunze.com/133.html?&L=1&C=US

The screw trick worked. It's still loud maybe alittle quieter than before. It's moving way more water. Min. setting now is like max setting before. I guess it has to make more noise if it's moving more water. I'll wait for it to break in. Let's say in a couple of months I'm not happy with the noise, what are my opitions? Could I exchange this propeller for another?

It is not very likely that one would be quieter than the other, it is possible, but in general if the noise persists, the best bet is going to be sending the pump in. More often the cause is that the well the impeller sits in is not perfectly straight, up until 2006 this was completely done by hand so they could have a slight angle, the only fix then is hand fitting parts and minor adjustments. On the earlier pumps, the plastic castings were assembled, the coil and circuitry soldered and installed, placed in a wood jig, the polyurethane potting was hand poured and they cured for a week. After 2006 this was automated to some extent and a more sophisticated curing frame was used to prevent any misalignment. However, they will absolutely be quieter than they are now in a couple weeks and we will do our best, but if they aren't quiet enough, best bet is send in the pump.

Where do I send pump? How much roughly? If I wanted to replace with 6215 what do I need? Do you have link?
With the old propeller you could hardly hear it turn off and on. Again, with new propeller it's moving alot more water and I can't turn it down. Min. setting now is like max setting before. It's around 1 1/2" to 2"wave on min. setting, my nem doesn't like it. This is on a 150g 6' x 2' x 20" high tank. Max is crazy, over 3" wave. Don't they still make old propeller?

I would really give it time, it is jumping the gun a bit at this point, it will be at least half the noise in a few weeks, that I can be fairly sure of.

Our address is Tunze USA, 305 Victor St, Austin, TX 78753

This is the pump upgrade kit, the listing is discrete and does not mention it, but ordering this will get you a 6215.200 pump, 6105.240 power supply and 6215.300 foam pan which is a complete retrofit.

http://www.tunze.com/details.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[prodid]=6260.015

They make the old style drive unit, part 6100.600, I do not stock them in the US. It may help with noise but it has it's own issues with clicking and shorter life span, I can order one in but they only should be used when the bore is very crooked and then the play between parts can reduce noise, but you also need the 6200.120 propeller and overall it is more expensive for a less durable part. It won't reduce the wave, the wave was reduced by the magnet losing power and the propeller abrading and being reduced in size, either new part should give the same end result in wave height. I think the inhabitants will adjust but if you want to reduce the wave, submerge the wavebox completely.

Back