Wavebox stopped working

tonyf

My wavebox is about 24 months old and has inexplicably stopped working. I have checked all connections are secure and the impeller is able to rotate freely. There are no lights working on the controller suggesting that the problem is either the transformer or the driver but I am unable to determine which it is.

Firstly, is there any history of failure of these items and which is more prevalent? Secondly, how do I determine which item is the cause of the failure.

Grazie,

Tone :rolleyes:

Tone, have you try to take the pump apart, soak it in vinegar or any type of cleaning solution? Check the impeller for build up, check for abnormal sign, and blockage.

Check the silver or blue box (the driver) make sure there is no moist. There is 4 screws at 4 corners of the box, loose the screws, open the top make sure all the connections look normal :D. Check the transformer (the black donut) make sure it is not too hot and the wire connecting properly.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.

I have reseated all electrical connections throughout the assembly. The pump is clean and the impeller is running freely. The 'blue box' is dry and in original condition ... I'll check inside as you suggest. I'll also check the transformer for warmth ... they do run pretty warm though judging by my TS24 kit.

Tone :)

Tone, the only thing i can think off is stuff build-up inside your motor block.

You can do a few test to narrow down the issue. If you have the TS24 kit, first try to swap out the transformer to see if it is going to work. If it still now working, swap out the blue box and use the old transformer. You'll be able to narrow down the issue. Once you figure out whats wrong with it, contact your local Tunze store and have them fix it.

Hi Steve,

I'm thinking that the motor block is ok ... no power to the motor as the lights on the controller don't light up. A couple of days before it stopped working, I smelt 'electrical' burning but couldn't identify where it was coming from as there is quite a bit of electrical equipment grouped together servicing the tank. Switching out transformers, etc is unfortunately not an option as the parts can't be stripped out easily ... wiring is enclosed in ducts. Anyway, it seems to be the driver as the 'doughnut' warms up when the power is turned on. New driver is on order. I am surprised however at the high failure rates of this equipment that I have experienced given the 'extreme' capital expense.

Cheers,

Tone :)

Back