Weight question

hogfanreefer

Leaving for our first saltwater dive this Friday.

One question. How much additonal weight will I need for the differnce between fresh and salt water? I am perfect with 8 lbs wearing a 3mm shorty which is what I plan to wear on my trip. I was thinking of adding 2 pounds to each of the weight pockets in the rear of my BC by the tank. This will increase me to 12 lbs. Is that enough or do I need to add two 3lb weights to those pockets?

There're lots of factors that can affect needed weight, most notably the divers weight, type of water, wetsuit thickness and type of tank. For saltwater, +4lbs-5lbs of what you need in fresh water is good.

For most divers, using aluminum tanks, 8%-10% of body weight is good in salt water. In my experience as a divemaster, most divers use too much weight. Where're you planning for your trip?

Sounds like a nice trip. Let us know how it goes. I'm assuming you're going to do some drift dives. Should be fun.

Depends where in the world u are diving. i need 4 less lbs in the Andaman Sea (Thailand) verses the South Pacific. Your charter boat should have adequate weights to get you sorted out on the spot.
i wouldnt trim out any different than what you are used to, i.e. put weights in pockets you normally dont have them in, or you'll have a tough time planing out.

have a good trip!

Depends where in the world u are diving. i need 4 less lbs in the Andaman Sea (Thailand) verses the South Pacific. Your charter boat should have adequate weights to get you sorted out on the spot.
i wouldnt trim out any different than what you are used to, i.e. put weights in pockets you normally dont have them in, or you'll have a tough time planing out.

have a good trip!

Really? Outside of the Red Sea most places have a similar specific gravity. Ive dove Phuket/Krabi numerous times and i havent noticed the difference. Interesting.

Really? Outside of the Red Sea most places have a similar specific gravity. Ive dove Phuket/Krabi numerous times and i havent noticed the difference. Interesting.

yes.

31 psu salinity in the andaman, 35 here locally. i can actually taste it in the water :)

12lbs sounds about right, but do a weight check on your first dive (or do a checkout dive prior). For reference, I use 8lbs with a 3/2mm full suit in saltwater, 12lbs with a 5mm full suit. I'm 6'1" and 178lbs.

Whatever you do don't take reeferbills advice on weights. I saw a thread were he was trying to say weights aren't ment to move you down the water column. He might reccomend it as a life vest.:lolspin:

12lbs sounds about right, but do a weight check on your first dive (or do a checkout dive prior). For reference, I use 8lbs with a 3/2mm full suit in saltwater, 12lbs with a 5mm full suit. I'm 6'1" and 178lbs.

Sounds about right with aluminum tanks.

Back