Weird macroalgae ID

advanwoerden

Hi, can someone help ID this algae and let me know how I can get rid of it (other than water changes and phosphate filters)? It came out of nowhere, I haven't introduced anything into my tank in many months. Thanks!
59b6b065647890dc21c77252dbcaeb7e.jpg

4dd2041dda99d56e41b5abc45422e1d2.jpg

Looks like Mermaid's Wineglass. Not an easy plant to keep. But if you want it gone, I bet a Fox Face would eat it.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but Michael is correct, as usual:)

What kind of live rock do you have? I have the same algae from aquacultured Caribbean rock. I actually don't mind the algae as it doesn't get out of control in my tank and adds something different to the tank.

Thanks griss. Good to get a corroborating opinion. Nice to hear it doesn't get out of control too.

It's an interesting macro for sure. In my tank, each individual stalk doesn't seem to be long lived. New stalks crop up, die out and others crop up...lather, rinse, repeat.

I have noticed that when I change out my GFO regularly (yes, I've been horrible at maintenance the last year or so) it (along with the Codium sp) will disappear for a while. If I don't change the GFO for a while, both macros will make a pretty good comeback.

Back