Weld on 4 and 16

I have both u could use but I'm a bit far from u. That being said I would use the 2 part weld on instead. I was talking with an acrylic manufacture recently he told be depending how the acrylic has been treated u can cause micro cracks in the acrylic with solvents.

Roger

I have both u could use but I'm a bit far from u. That being said I would use the 2 part weld on instead. I was talking with an acrylic manufacture recently he told be depending how the acrylic has been treated u can cause micro cracks in the acrylic with solvents.

Roger
Like JB weld?

farco plastics on US 19 is where I bought weld-on in the past. Roger has a point that some acrylic treatments don't mix well with the solvents. I think flame-polished edges are one.

Ok so I am not sure if 4 or 16 are what I need here are some pictures of my skimmer and what the issue is

3330ca9b7691e01b9ca7848ef2b25a7d.jpg

183d7015bb5eed99c4ad936c585c80dd.jpg

Where the clear meets the red has separated a lil and leaking/seaping back down the skimmer it is a very slim joint I have never worked with acrylic so what would you guys recommend
Thanks

Plastics of america on hwy 60 sells weld on. Ive used 16 and 4 with great results in tank manufacturing. If the seams are flush with no gaps, 4 will work since its very thin and runny. 16 will work if there is very small gaps and comes out like a gel paste. For your skimmer, 16 would be just fine, just besure to clean what your welding very well.

Also, with 4, you need a applicator bottle to apply it. And doesnt store for long, as it will evaporate over time.

i would suggest the 16...the weld-on 3 or 4 is a more permanent bond in my past experiences, but only when used on cast materials. Like roger mentioned, there might be crazing/micro fractures if you use weld 3 or 4, especially if the clear tubing is extruded material.

I have some 16 and 4 if you wanna bring it over. 16 is pretty messy as it gets kind of stringy. 4 is pretty easy to work with. If you're not incredibly worried about looks super glue is one of the most potent bonds for acrylic.

I have some 16 and 4 if you wanna bring it over. 16 is pretty messy as it gets kind of stringy. 4 is pretty easy to work with. If you're not incredibly worried about looks super glue is one of the most potent bonds for acrylic.
Thanks for the offer this might be a next weekend project so I might take you up on that..I wouldn't mind using super glue but it is on the inside of my skimmer so I wouldn't want a rough surface that might interfere with its production

Back