What camera should I buy

jarrett shark

Wife looking to get me a camera for my birthday and I want something good but not over priced, just need to take pics of my coral :fun2:
I just want the camera now and will upgrade later the micro lens

Send me a link if you can so i can just pass it on to wife....
She wants to get it at bestbuy if you can look there first...

Ain't you lucky!! Tell your wifey my b-day is Sunday aswell... Maybe i'll get a camera too!! (She hates my guts!) LOL!! Nikkon camera's are great!

I love my Nikon D60. It's got all the features you'll be able to use, and is reasonably priced. It's also still on the smaller side of DSLR's and is ergonomically friendly. Can't go wrong with anything on their line though, it's really what your wallet is willing to spring for.

I just want the camera now and will upgrade later the micro lens

Jarrett, you're thinking wrong here. If the main purpose is to photograph your coral, then just buy the "body only" plus a macro lens for now, and "upgrade" to a general shooting lens (a zoom or whatever) later. In other words, do not buy a "kit" or package deal -- just get the two pieces that you really want now, separately.

I took a quick look at Nikkor macro lenses and offhand (I need to research a little more) I like the 60mm -- the catch is that it says it doesn't work with the D60 body that was recommended to you -- so I need to research that, too -- like what body + lens would be the best combination for you.

Just how soon do you need my recommendations?

(FYI, "Nikon" is the brand name, but they have always called their lenses as "Nikkor.")

George
--

The D90 is probably one of the best cameras. Nikon has tried to even come out with a successor but the quality of the D90 is superb. Another camera worth looking at is the Canon T2i- vibrant picture quality.

I have the T2i with stock and different lenses; I would rather pay more for a solid lens. I love the T2i and plan on getting a EF 100mm f/2.8 lens (macro) down the line. I think the most important thing is to first identify what you want to capture the most and figure out your budget. If you knew you wanted to do close shots- get the body and a nice mac lens. If price is going to be the determining factor than consider third part lenses- most fit one another.

Good luck- cant wait to see pics :)

canon 60D
canon rebel 2Ti
canon rebel 3Ti

all are more or less the same camera. the rebel 2Ti is the best bang for the buck but if you plan to use it as a video camera then the 60d is nice for the swivel minitor. I have all 3 love them all.

I got Canon T1i

Konrad - its T2i, T3i, and there is another new one called T3 also.

90mm Macro is the most versatile. But for FTS.. you'll want a different lens most likely.

I got the Tamron SP 90mm Macro f2.8..

one of the best/cheapest macro lenses you can get.. especially used.

I just want you to know... just cause you get a D-SLR.. doesn't mean its going to be easy to take good pics.
I kinda thought that way.. and I was way wrong.. there is so much to learn. but its not that hard. Just takes a tiny bit of reading. but more practice than anything. The more you practice the better idea you get of how things work.

Taking pics of reef tank is prob. one of the hardest types of photography.

In terms for best bang for the buck.. Konrad is right.. T2i is prob the best for that. Slightly lower grade for less money what you can get is the T1i like mine.

I haven't read too much about Nikons.. but they are just as good as canon. Only difference... is that Canon are much more user friendly especially for newbies like you and me.

And you might as well just get a kit package.. because its normally cheaper.. and you end up with a so-so lens that will be good for taking general pics and maybe some FTS.

Thouse cameras will are so good that it will show the true color your corals have that you see with your own eyes.

The main thing.. as far as I've seen so far is shooting raw mode (in terms of color). Tweaking the camera helps only a certain amount.

No matter what you gotta tweak the white balance in photos with a program. (Shooting in RAW mode lets you do this)

I spoke with Reef Bum.. and he said that he mostly uses Auto white balance.. I don't know how... lol. Most guys talked to say that auto white balance is garbage... normally leaves pics looking blue if you have 14,000K lighting and up. 10,000K is pretty easy to shoot.

Thanks for lighting the fire under my butt. I just ordered a Tamron 90mm macro. Can't wait till it gets here!

No problem. Photography becomes just as addictive as reefing lol. And they compliment eachother nicely

Ah, yes... it's a difference of opinion that makes a horse race. Jarrett, you've opened a can of worms because you're going to get a different opinion from every person.

I very strongly disagree with buying a different brand lens from the camera you buy. It's the glass, man, it's the glass -- and you want the finest possible (Nikkor -- or, Canon if you buy a Canon camera) -- not some freakin' "off brand" glass. Don't listen to the propaganda that they are "just as good" -- they pay the reviewers in advertising money to say that crap. It makes NO SENSE to buy the FINEST camera body you can buy, and then stick a piece of crap glass on it.

I even MORE strongly disagree with getting a telephoto lens (will define that in a minute) to take close ups of corals in your tank, which will be anywhere from 1" to 24" from your lens. Get the WIDEST damn macro lens you can find.

Now then... a 35mm film camera makes an image on film that is 36x24mm. Only within the past few years have the top of the line (read: most expensive) digital SLRs been able to equal this -- but the manufacturers continue to produce the older digital format which yields an image the equivalent of ONE and a HALF TIMES that size -- this is a very important factor!

In 35mm film photography a so-called "normal" lens is 55mm -- this yields an image approximately what the eye sees -- neither enlarged (telephoto) nor widened (wide angle). So, with a DSLR, you would multiply the focal length by 1.5 to get the 35mm film camera equivalent. A 55mm lens is no longer "normal" -- it is a telephoto with a factor of 1.5 power. A 35mm lens now becomes a "normal" lens (35 x 1.5 = 52mm) -- AND... here is the kicker... a 90mm lens (which has been recommended in this thread), on a digital SLR, becomes the equivalent of a 135mm lens, or a 2.5 power telephoto lens!!!!!!!!

I don't know... I really can't put enough exclamation points after that. It is insane to use that lens for close up pics of corals. It would be, however, perfect for taking close up pics of rattlesnakes, where you wouldn't want to get within striking distance! LMAO

Ok... bottom line... conclusion... wrap-up... MY recommendations for Jarrett... Get a Nikon... from what I've read, Ninja is correct that the D90 was one of the best, but it's from 2008... the latest (and cheaper) is the D5100 which sounds like a great camera, too.

Here's the link you asked for -- read all about 'em here:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs

And remember, *body only!* Do not buy a "kit" -- get the WIDEST (lowest number of mm) macro NIKKOR lens available for the camera you buy (35mm or LESS, if possible).

Sorry for the length of this, and sorry it's a bit complex. It's just not as simple as saying, "Buy a Kodak Brownie!" LMAO

Hope it helps.

George
P.S. -- tell your wife I'll be happy to go shopping with her!
--

Tamron is actually not an "offbrand" lens.

It is made and assembled in Japan.

And are high quality lenses offered at a bit of an affordable price.

Even consumer reports, an unbiased product review company which does NOT accept advertisements of ANY kind highly recommends tamron, and sigma lenses.

Nikon and Canon lenses are just as good but only 1.5 to 2x more expensive.

And to take TRUE macro shots you need a macro lens of any where between 50 - 100mm which provides magnification of a 1:1 ratio (the way the image is projected onto the cameras sensor is a 1:1 ratio..
Macro photos are one of the popular types of reef tank photography allowing people to see things that they normally wouldn't always be able to.

With a telephoto lens you'd be lucky to get At best 1:1.5 and that is in the range of one grand.

I don't know why your so against macro shots, but Jarrett told mr he wants to be able to take macro shots so that's the direction I'm steering him in.
Majority of the time buyin a kit package makes sense for an entry level photographer because the lenses do not add much to the price. Depending on the time you buy. Specifically March being the best time to buy a camera according to consumer reports, you can end up with a kit lens for only $50-$60 more. And they are fine for regular every day shooing of the family etc.

The only truly affordable best bang for your buck canon lens I know of is the canon efs 50mm f1.8.

It's a great lens for low light and can give some very interesting DoF shots at only $100.

And probably a good fish shooting lens because of the speed and which you can shoot. That will prob be my next lens.

Other things to look for when your ready for macro photography is a nice sturdy tripod and remote, makes a Huge difference.

Wide angle lenses are nice but good ones are in the $600+ range. I doubt Jarrett wants to spend that much into a hobby he is JUST getting into. I know a few people who ended up hating their DSLR and preferred their point and shoot because it took decent pics and fit in their pocket.

But once you learn the principles it's a pretty fun hobby that's components aquarium keeping of any kind nicely.

I agree with Staan. You should definitely get a kit with a standard 18-55mm lens if you plan on using this camera for anything besides taking pictures of your tank. The macro lens is great for close ups of things, but if you bring that to your family reunion, you're not gonna love all those close ups of grandmas mole. Also like Staan mentioned. The price to get the lens in a kit is WAY cheaper than if you change your mind down the road. Besides, if you don't like the lens it comes with you can always sell it for more than you paid for it.

Good luck, my best advice would be to go to a local camera shop and talk to someone. They'll be able to answer any questions you have, and even better you can hold and play with all the cameras. Don't forget, one of the most important parts is how it fits in your hands. You want a camera that is comfortable for you to use, this way you'll enjoy using it rather than it being a hassle..

And George please don't go around saying that Tamron is crap glass. That's simply not true, and I know countlless professional photographers who would disagree with you. Nikkor is a brand, you're paying for that not "better glass." All it takes is a simple google search to see all the happy Tamron users.

as much as i LOVE the canon L lenses i also use Sigma. and i use them on pro video shoots. the way i see it i can buy a sigma 70 to 200 2.8 lens for $800 or i can get the canon equivelent for $1800 they look exacly the same I did tests on it since i have both.

Now to the original question When my company started to do DSLR video Shoots we looked at both canon and nikon we went with canon because they had the larger sensors and to me the looked better and where already addoped in the industry. So please keep in mind still shooting is something secondary for me when looking at DSLRs. but having said that i thing what you should get that will make you uber happy and last you a while and even let you shoot some amazing video is.......
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758979-REG/Canon_5169B005_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

Back