What causes my algae

alice 01

I cannot seem to get my algae in hand.
Tank is in fallow period at the moment and I aim to get fish back into the tank in another 6/7 weeks so really want to get it sorted by then.
Have done a couple of black out which have helped but has not really stopped the hair algae
This tank has been running for 6 plus months and all rock came from my previous set up and sand was added fresh.
Have a reasonable CUC although I will add to this a little anyway
1x conch
8x narcissus snails
6x banded trochus snails
2x cleaner shrimp
3x peppermint shrimp
3x hermit crabs
Did have more but they seem to slowly decline.

I also have lots of bristleworm casting on rocks that I just find annoying.

Last test nitrate 0.5 and phosphate 0.015 on 31st May.

Run reactor with rowaphos.
Have a protein skimmer although think I need to upgrade this.

Just started to use microbacter7.

Thinking off adding a sea slug although I know I will need to supplement feed afterwards.
I intend to have a foxface and kole tang much later down the line.
Would they out compete the sea slug with the supplement food and cause a problem.

Tank is a redsea 425xl

Any other ideas appreciated.

8f7e2ef7370575a373e87e7dd94ca223.jpg
5f643a0426d5add407a4d716419633fa.jpg
dd3849bce8c387123608bffd73c1a75c.jpg
9529283d45341204de4dba2844736eb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nitrate and phosphate are what causes algae to grow. Those numbers your testing might be correct but they dont tell you the whole picture.
Your algae is eating up all the nitrate and PO4 before you can test for it. So its showing low numbers.

Manually remove it, water changes frequently (using pure RO/DI and quality salt), upgrade your skimmer (if you think its not the correct size) and most importantly, get a refugium with a TRUE led grow light.

Start watching some BRS videos, specifically the 52 weeks of reefing. Start to actually understand the chemistry in the tank. Remember, snails or other treatments dont work because there still leaving the nitrates and phosphate IN the tank.

Thank you for your response
Have really been trying to get hold of something for a refugium but never seem to come across any.
New protein skimmer is high on my list.
Just trying to decide what to go for.
Will be adding some more CUC as well but totally get what you are saying.

I've struggled to control algae for years. Seems no matter how good my numbers are, it finds a way to grow. Algae scrubber/skimmer/sock changes/RODI water changes all help, but not eliminate. If I goof up something, OUTBREAK!
So, I started dosing Vibrant weekly accord to the label. It claims some benefits happen right away, but I didn't see it. What I did see, over 8 weeks was a consistent reduction that now grows only in remote areas that used to be especially heavy, now less so.
I'm reducing the dose to bi-weekly, per directions. So far, so good. Hope it lasts.
It may be more of a crutch than a cure, but I still like the results.
***disclaimer***BTW, I'm in no way connected to the product other than as a customer. I purchased it on line and paid for it myself.

Will consider vibrant later down the line.
Using microbacter 7 and only just started so want to see how this effects things
Also going to order a new protein skimmer.

Hopefully will see some small improvements.

I'm got to somehow deal with vermitide snails.
Been manually doing some but after a week they are coming back.
I've so many that they are a real issue.
Considering hydrogen peroxide which will hopefully knock back the algea as well and hopefully it will not come back as strong.

Back