What do you guys think about this CHEAP RO/DI unit?

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Between you guys, a couple of things stick out to me:

Tang Salad - it's just not the same without your salad bowl full of tangs

BFS - Thanks for the well-itemized reply. Actually, I had looked at purchasing your value series RO/DI.

But your value series system uses a 5-micron sediment filter just like the one I linked to in the OP. I mean if you sell it, can it really be all that bad?

For the lifespan of items like the carbon filter, I just think in tangible terms of how much RODI water I use. For instance, I use approximately 5 gallons per week, so if we were to conjecture that the carbon were to be replaced after 300 gallons or so, that's more than a year's usage for me. Still, I'm sure there's no denying that the water coming past this GAC couldn't possibly be as clean as water coming from a carbon block.

I am having trouble understanding the horizontal DI though being a problem though. Are we thinking because the DI cartridge isn't filled well with resin, so that it settles out and water flows past it? I guess I would be surprised if that is the case.

Overall though guys, I guess you have steered me away from this system. It is only like 50 dollars cheaper than one of the entry level units from sponsors here like BFS, and there seem to be several (lol) concerns about the quality of this unit. I mean, the whole point of RODI is producing water which you can be confident in the quality of...

Actually, if I still have the attention of BFS, two more questions:

Does your BFS-155 Value Series 100 gpd RO/DI System - $123.00 come with color-changing DI resin? If not, is this upgradeable upon puchase for a small fee?

Also, does the Dow 75 gpd membrane have a higher rejection rate than the 100 gpd? If it does have a higher rejection rate, does that mean it requires higher input pressure? And could a 100 gpd pump ie the aquatec be used to push the 75 gpd membrane?

I guess there's quite a bit I don't know about the mechanics of RODI

THANKS

The Value Series RODI's come with the same color-changing resin that is in our Premium Series systems.

The Filmtec 75 gpd has a factory spec rejection rate of 98%. The spec rejection rate on the 100 gpd is 90%. Both are spec'ed at 50 psi.

The Aquatec 8800 pump will do wonders for any membrane commonly used in this hobby, including the 75 gpd and 100 gpd.

Russ

For instance, I use approximately 5 gallons per week, so if we were to conjecture that the carbon were to be replaced after 300 gallons or so, that's more than a year's usage for me.

Assuming the unit had the correct flow restrictor, per week:
5 gallons purified
20 gallons waste

You'd burn through the GAC in 12 weeks...

And because its GAC, and you don't want to run it to the point of exhaustion, it would be more like 10 weeks.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure there is a situation somewhere that would be served just fine by the system you ask about - just know what you're getting when you buy, and think about long-term cost of operation in addition to the upfront purchase cost.

Russ

Back