What foam to use under a 215 gallon tank

ratherbeflyen

I'm close to finishing my 215 build. I made an aluminum stand and I've put a granite counter top on it. I'm trying to decide what to put between the tank and the granite. I was going to use a black yoga mat, but it seems too soft and will probably just compress flat as soon as I fill it with water. I can't find a higher density foam that is black. The white, blue, or pink insulation foam would work, but it's visible and I don't like the look. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use between the tank and the granite top? I have 3/4" plywood between the granite and the stand. Can I leave it bare with the granite being smooth and flat?

yes you can. the point to having a rubber mat is to even and uneven surface. but your granite is probably without imperfection.

You can sit it right on top of the granite. I would pick the pink foam insulation board and then spray paint the edges black.

Rimmed or rimless aquarium?

^^^This^^^

If it is rimmed, nothing at all should be needed. If it is rimless, then I would go with the thinnest black I could find, especially since it is going on granite. Just make sure the area is cleaned of any debris before you place the tank.

Back