What has been your perfect size for a reef tank and why?

I have an innovative marine sr-60 all in one... 36x24x16 and I couldn't be happier.
cda4daf350176aac259373f57d2e2083.jpg

Have the same tank, love it!!! I've actually been through several big tanks and Nano tanks. Currently my tank is barebottom, how many lbs of sand is in yours?

ideally, the ocean will be the size i wanted, but no one wants to bankroll me the money.
i want 24" tall(short arms) but just dropping 3" will cost me double compare to 300dd, so i settle 300g display tank chain on a 45g frag and a 34g anemone tank.
cleaning is bare minimum, maybe once a month, carbon dose, i hardly have any algae grow. water change, maybe couple buckets of salt a year. heaters never come on in summer, winter maybe 1-2 hrs per day.

My first tank was a 75G 48x18x21. It was nice but I prefer the added space in my current 150G 60x24x24. It also helps that I moved the sump to the basement and added a refugium, apex, dosers, and ATO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24x24x24" would be a perfect middle ground for you i think. I'd bet money in 6 months you'd still be happy with this decision. IF you aren't happy with it in 6 months; it would most likely be because you were so successful with it, that you now wish you'd gone larger. Haha

What's the perfect size? The one I don't have...

I ran a 40 breeder seahorse tank for six years and before that a 65 gallon mixed reef.

There are certain fish I've wanted, like Anthias, that need more swimming room than a smaller tank offers. I've also always been a fan of deeper (front to back) tanks because of the aquascaping options they offer.

I'm slowly setting up a 125 48L x 30W x 20H. I thought long and hard before buying it because of the upgrade in equipment required.

We'll see if that keeps me happy, or if I start feeling like I live with a money pit.

I don't have a recommendation for best tank size overall but I think a tank that is sized in multiples of 2ft is sensible. So 2x2x2, 4x2x2, 6x2x2 etc. Most equipment options, especially lighting, is designed for that sort of volume and space.

That said, I went with a 5x2 because I had the room and for the T5 lighting I wanted a fixture made for a 6ft length works as well (or better) for a 5ft length.

I vote the standard 120. Not too big, not too small, great for aquascaping, easy to light.

Back