What is going on with these Clams

tprize

So my friend is out of things to do. He can not figure out what is wrong with his clams, so I took some pics and am hopeing you guys can help me out. His lighting is 150W MH and 2x24W t-5 It's a 30G Finnex Tank. At the time the photo was taken all the parameters were within spec. That includes alkalinity, calc etc... this is the bigger of the two clams and the first to go brown, now the little guy is going brown. They still open and close like normal, so I'm not sure what is going on please let me know what is wrong.

DSC_1113.jpg

what is the spectrum of the bulbs that he is using. A lower K bulb can cause corals and clams to turn brown.

I agree move it closer to the light, I don't think is the K I use 6500K with actinics and my crocea is bright blue

The tank is only like 16 inches deep. Buf if you think that it needs more light I will try moving it up. Also the bulb is a 150W 10k bulb.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9874472#post9874472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryan115
what is the spectrum of the bulbs that he is using. A lower K bulb can cause corals and clams to turn brown.

I'd like to see some references for this, because it makes no sense.

Lower K bulbs have higher par, which generally leads to lighter animals, not darker.

Move it up, its not getting enough light.

One other thing, I just talked to him and he said he cut the MH back to about 8 hours because some of his new corals bleached out. They are starting to come back around and he is going to up it again. What is a good range for the Mh and T-5 in hours.

Also the light has been up since december. It's a stock Finnex Bulb

8 hours is more than enough. He just needs to move the clam up. Croceas tend dont even really grow more than about 5 feet down in the ocean. They need a TON of light.

Ok with the current aquascaping that may be really hard to do, cause he just falls off to the sand every time he's tried to put it up he said. So if you were to build a calm only tank what would you do?

I believe it might have been calfo's book where I was reading that alot of aquaculture facilities will use 6500K light to grow, giving fastger growth but browner corals and then move them to 14K or 20k before they sell them to get the color back up.

Back