What is the quietest/quality submersible pumps that can give me 3000 gph??

flyyyguy

King of the white corals
Premium Member
I need two submersible pumps One of which needs to give me 3000 gph, and the other 1800.

I dont htink eheim makes any that large. Or am i mistaken??
Suggestions??

Last edited:
ya......i just looked them up. Those are a little out of the ballpark as far as price..........I could spend that $650 to get BOTH of the pumps i need.....

Im sure they are sweet though.

returns on two different tanks. My returns also feed my chillers and small canister filters for carbon. Ive always used mags in the past and am just thinking about changing them out for something better.

I may just end up getting seperate pumps for the chillers and returns...just wondering if there was something out there i didnt know about so I could continue to let one pump do three jobs......

Red Dragon pumps are based off of Laguna pond pumps. They are a well established pump that have a good reputation. The new ones supposedly no longer have the piece of brass that they used to, which obviously would have made them a major no-no for saltwater use. You can find them here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1173526&goto=newpost

I would, of course, contact Drsfostersmith first to verify that they can be used for saltwater. Although I know people are already using them in skimmers, it is always best to be safe.

i appreciate it.....but I seriously cant swallow $1300 right now to replace these mags I use with those red dragons.

I just had both of my displays crash and am restocking, figured i would make a couple of small improvements to the hardware while i was at it.

I was hoping to find a couple pumps more in the $200-$300 apiece range to accomodate me quieter than the mags

Are they quiet?? Do you use these pumps?? Anyone else here use them?? Since those models you listed werein the "pond" section...are they SW safe??

"The new ones supposedly no longer have the piece of brass that they used to, which obviously would have made them a major no-no for saltwater use... I would, of course, contact Drsfostersmith first to verify that they can be used for saltwater. Although I know people are already using them in skimmers, it is always best to be safe."

People are modding them for use as very powerful needlewheel pumps for skimmers. I believe they are perfectly saltwater safe now. Check this thread for more info:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1094749

I use one. They make eheims look like Rios.

Seriously, theyre awesome. Way more efficient, quieter, more powerful.

So you are using it for a skimmer Rich???

So for my simple needs of a multi purpose return pump.....assuming that brass piece indeed doesnt exist anymore, it should do what i need right out of the box correct??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10445385#post10445385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ti
what about eheim

Theres none big enough for what he wants to do, plus the lagunas are much nicer pumps. (theyre also more expensive).

How much height you talking for the big pump? The 2900 maxes out at 2900 gph, or like 30', at 130w. The 2400 does 2400gph, but only goes up to like 15'

Yeah, as long as you get the new series, they'll do fine (not the 3000/5000/7000/9000)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10445456#post10445456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Theres none big enough for what he wants to do, plus the lagunas are much nicer pumps. (theyre also more expensive).

How much height you talking for the big pump? The 2900 maxes out at 2900 gph, or like 30', at 130w. The 2400 does 2400gph, but only goes up to like 15'

Yeah, as long as you get the new series, they'll do fine (not the 3000/5000/7000/9000)

On one tank I need 4 feet of lift, and end result of 1000 gph through the sump and another 800 gph through the chiller(short CLS-return-cjiler-right back to sump).

On the other, I have aonother 4 feet of lift, and need an end result of 500 gph through the sump and 800 gph through the chiller.

So it sounds as though the 2900 and the 2000 are what I want. And i can pick both of those pumps up for about $300 total. Thats sounds pretty good. whadya think??

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12824&N=62728+113361

Last edited:
Got it. thx

so..not to beat a dead horse, but i plan on ordering these pumps today. If i order the 2900 and the 2400(which i will be tapering back as i simpl;y dont need that much for that tank) today.......these things will be plug and play for me. I.E. safe for saltwater and all i will have to do is plumb them in. Correct??

Back