What is this on my leather coral?

ShootMe

I added this finger leather about two weeks ago. It proceeded to bend over then this stuff started growing on it. It looks like a bunch of brown splinters coming out of one side and brown dots forming on the other side of the coral. Is it an infection of some type? At the moment he looks very healthy except for this stuff, all the fingers extend and the coral stands straight up when the lights are on. Please help.

Picture of stuff on leather coral.

You're getting a lot of lookers but no comments because this is sort of Unusual...my rawest and inexpert guess would be that it's extruding some of its internal structure and trying like crazy to bend in the other direction. If it were mine, I would turn it around and reposition. I don't think all leathers like mh lighting: it might be in a light a little strong for it, or near something it's in conflict with. All I know is from 10 years trying to make cranky leathers get along, but I have zip technical knowedge on this topic.

I get some sort of algae that grows on my leather stalks (and Capnella and other dendro-i.e., tree like- type corals). Can you get a shot that is a little clearer and include more of the stalk? The algae growth on mine seems normal and non detrimental and seems to only grow about 1-2" up the stalk. not all of my leahters and dendro-type corals get the covering, but many do. Another shot might make it clearer to me.

There is a redish spot (upper right) and an overall red tint to the affected area that resembles cyanobacteria.

How is your flow? Have you changed out your carbon lately?

Hmm?

Looks like abrasion. If your water quality's excellent this coral will be near impossible to kill. All you need to do is wedge it in the rockwork somewhere where it gets a bit of flow and a bit of light. Use another small piece of rock to wedge it in place if you like. Then, most importantly, leave it alone for at least a fortnight i.e. no poking, prodding, squirting, feeding, redirecting powerheads etc.

In summary, focus on water quality/stability, get the coral off the sand, and leave it alone.

It's just part of the stalk.... I have them on my finger leathers and it gives them stablility. Plus when leathers start getting bigger they need this to protect there base from other corals (EX: mushrooms and zoos).

If you take the coral out the tank feel the base and you will notice that is a lot tougher then the stalk. :)

Back