What is this?

gotoneon

Any ideas what this is. I'm a little upset with myself. I added a buble tip with out QT and this was the reminder I got. It is really just effecting a few fish and they are skittish and eating less, they also will not leave my cleaner shrimp alone and are hanging out at the water return. I am guessing their gills are also being effected because they are trying to get more oxygen at the return. Usually the fish are always against the glass when I am around but now they are hidding from me so getting a picture was tough. The eyes are also getting milky and swollen. Do you think I could hypo the intire tank? With 400+ lbs of rock and over 500 gallons of water I don't think I can catch everyone without draining the tank and removing all the rock.
url]

url]

are the spots white is it ich.

if the spots are more brown it miht be marine velvet.

look up both and try to decide which it is.

inverts will not stand for hypo but you would be best to get all fish out to q/t

if it is ivh treat with hypo and it sounds like you have a secondary infection so treat with a good anti biotic.

if it is velvet you need to do a series of 3 formaling dips evey 3rd day.

if not sure you can do all of this at once.

how long have the fish been ill. are they laboured in there breathing a sign of velvet.

if it is velvet then time is of the essence.

have any new fish been added.

I am fairly certain it is not ich. Also according to everything I read on Velvet the fish should be dead. I first noticed it on the two banner fish almost six days ago. I started feeding with garlic. There bodies look the same as day one but there eyes where milky this morning so I started getting more woried, my purple tangs color is a little faded today and he is also showing signs of clowdy eyes. Everyone else in the tank is tip top. The only thing I have added was a Bubble tip over two months ago and a clarki clown a week ago. The BT I added strait in but I QT the clown for 7+ weeks. The clown is fine and eating like normal. Life is normal for all the other fish. I did notice the sailfin scrape against a rock today and his side is a little scratched from posibly doing it more then once. I am setting up two QT tanks and a fresh water dip. I guess I will treat them for everything and see what happens. Catching them will be sooo fun. Let this be a lesson, BT's hold water inside them and that water can contain bad things, just like a fish. Or maybe this has been something in my tank for the past several years, I recently (3 months ago)moved into the biger tank and maybe the stress, or just the act of moving sturred something up I have had all along?

Back