what kind of clown is this?

TikiDan

Premium Member
Sebae.jpg

clownfish.jpg

Just wondering what kind of clowns these are. I have had them for about 1 year, and their bodies seem to be getting darker and darker and not as vibrant orange like when I first got them.

Hard to tell for sure from the photos but I'd have to vote ocellaris ... ocellaris have darker eyes while the percs have a dark iris with a light outer eye. If the ring around the iris is dusky to dark (i.e. not light), then you could be pretty sure that they are ocellaris.

As for the color shift, if these were CB then you probably bought them when they were filled with lots of pigmentation. If they go on a lighter pigmentation diet, they will lose the brightness. The color shift could also be based upon the host / tank they're in, as clowns will change appearance (darkness / lightness) if they are moved or change hosts.

Ouch.jpg

Ouch2.jpg

here are two shots from about 6 months ago when one got into a fight with a bristle worm. do these pics make it easier?

Is there something growing on the right eye or did you happen to catch tank scratches over its eye in both pictures?

Eileen is right, it decided to pick a fight with a very healthy bristleworm. this guy was huge like 10 inchs long. After about a week, he was ok.

yup. Bought it 2 and half years ago when it was about the size of a golfball and now the thing is huge, over 1 foot in diamater when fully open. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9805963#post9805963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raddogz
The anemone is humongoid!:D

We just love it when you talk all technical like, Eileen :D

Looks like a false perc. True percs have 9 spines on the front dorsal fin. These appear to have 7

Back