What light over chaeto?

lougotzz

I posted the same topic in general discussion, but didnt really get a reply. I wanted to know what light to put over chaeto in a sump. Also, how long should it be run?

Thanks.

I've been having awesome luck with a 75w halogen flood light from Sylvania marketed under daylight something-or-other. The bulb has a blueish lens. My chaeto seems quite happy to get 16 hours of light in a day.

Personally I love the 70w HPS that you can get at Lowe's for ~$70. Perfect spectrum for growing algae and HPS has the highest lumens per watt of any light.

I get good results with a $7 Walmart enersaver, natural white, 23 watt, 1050 lumen, 4100k self ballast/reflecting flood light screwed into a $5 outdoor water proof base.

I'm using the same Walmart bulb as Bzar with great results. I have to trim the Chaeto weekly. It's a good idea to run the refugium lights on an opposite schedule as the Display Tank. I run mine twelve hours on, twelve off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15459020#post15459020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
I'm using the same Walmart bulb as Bzar with great results. I have to trim the Chaeto weekly. It's a good idea to run the refugium lights on an opposite schedule as the Display Tank. I run mine twelve hours on, twelve off.

What like 9 am to 9 pm display lights on an d chaeto light off, and then 9pm to 9 am chaeto lights on?

Why is that?

There is a normal ph change when the lights go out, so if you run your refugium lights opposite the Display, you reduce the ph variance.

Back