What Salt Do You Guys Use?

recently switched to Kent (just because it was on sale), my pipe organ doesn't like it much. I'm going back to RC next order. RC works pretty well for me. With either one, my LPS and SPS grow at pretty decent rate.

Strongly considering ESV. Anyone local use it? Or know where to get it at a good price?

Dan, I've been using ESV for about 6-8 months. Despite the extra steps it requires (mix 4 parts - 2 salts, 2 liquids & using digital scale), it mixes fast and clear. You can perform water change within an hour. Numbers seem very consistent since all parts are added separately. I do miss the ease of scoops, however. :lol:

hi guys, new here at RC, i shifted to Ocean Pure few months ago, trying to be on budget :) but so far no issues. Got it from CL poster from Sunnyvale

I here people keep on saying that you need to use the salt after its mixed within a time frame but this doesn't make any sence to me. What's the difference if it in a trash can or been with a pump mixing to being in a glass or plexi tank??? It doesn't make any sense?!?!??

I here people keep on saying that you need to use the salt after its mixed within a time frame but this doesn't make any sence to me. What's the difference if it in a trash can or been with a pump mixing to being in a glass or plexi tank??? It doesn't make any sense?!?!??

For aquavitro salt the alk supposedly drops pretty quick if it's not used right away.

Try it for yourself ;-) .. I couldn't stand it tried to not mix all the time. Mix all the time.. Mix cold, mix warm. For me even after the initial 24hr mixing that the bucket recommends the alk was a whole point lower than what it was lab certified at. They really should change the mixing directions and include to use in the first few hours.. I never had it clear in the time frame everybody here is recommending either.. JME after a year I gave up.

I'm not disagreeing that this happens I'm just saying that it doesn't make any sense at all weather it's in one container or a tank.

That's my thought as well, if the salt can't hold up on its own in a bin where the only chemical reactions taking place are gas exchange...how in the world is it going to hold up in the tank?

Does anyone know which LFS sells aquavitro salinity?
Aquatic Collection has a nice price on it.

I've used lots. Instant Ocean -> Reef Crystal -> Oceanic -> Salinity -> Seachem -> Oceanic

They all seem to work pretty well...I like Oceanic (pretty cheap, good Alk/CA/High Mg), Aquavitro good, but cloudy... heard lots of great things about ESV salt, but seemed like a pain to make....

Back