What should I feed my brittle starfish?

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
I got some live rock from KP Aquatics and had a snail and a brittle starfish hitchhike along. What does the brittle starfish eat? The tank is newly setup.

Attachments

• photo412177.jpg
    photo412177.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo412179.jpg
    photo412179.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • photo412181.jpg
    photo412181.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
John, mine survived off of scraps. Their legs give them the ability to get to places most other critters can't.

John, mine survived off of scraps. Their legs give them the ability to get to places most other critters can't.

But it's only him (her) and a snail ? right now Jesse. I'm thinking small sinking pellets. ?

Mine do well grabbing the fish food that makes it to the bottom. For larger brittle stars you may need ot make sure it's getting enough, the body should look a little "puffy" not flat. They can live a really long time also. I've got black spiny similar in apperance to yours and red serpent (no spines) that are pushing 2 decades and a giant green one easily over 25.

I got micro serpent starfish from IPSF many years ago. They multiply like rabbits in my high nutrient systems.

Watching the micros breed is insane.

Been watching nature documentaries and I now understand the crazies involved with frogs mating. I have noted in my water garden tubs, on certain nights in early Spring, frog noise is very loud. In watching documentaries, researchers confirmed what I guessed: The frogs had an orgy.

While I find micro stars under rocks amongst detritus, I also find them on macro algae. I am not sure if they eat biofilm on macro surfaces or if they just want a “birds eye” view.

These guys proliferate amongst the seaweeds in my systems.

http://ipsf.com/ministars.html
MiniStars
are small, incredibly industrious sand stirrers and cleaners that will help keep your live sand bed healthy, aerobic and free of decomposing detritus - the organic particles that rain down every day from the water column above. These reef-dwelling ophiuroids reproduce readily in closed systems because they have direct development (no planktonic stage). Reef safe, will not bulldoze. Size of individual specimens ranges from approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch; includes adults, sub-adults and juveniles. MiniStars do not grow larger than approx. 1 inch in diameter.

These guys proliferate amongst the seaweeds in my systems.

http://ipsf.com/ministars.html
MiniStars
are small, incredibly industrious sand stirrers and cleaners that will help keep your live sand bed healthy, aerobic and free of decomposing detritus - the organic particles that rain down every day from the water column above. These reef-dwelling ophiuroids reproduce readily in closed systems because they have direct development (no planktonic stage). Reef safe, will not bulldoze. Size of individual specimens ranges from approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch; includes adults, sub-adults and juveniles. MiniStars do not grow larger than approx. 1 inch in diameter.

Thanks Patrick!

I just placed this order which will arrive Thursday.

Mixandmatch Bristleworms,wondermud,6nerite,6littorinid,6microhermits,25reefamphipods,podflakes,podmat,livesandactivator
SUPERaddon Reefplankton,25ReefAmphipods,6mamamiaworms,6ministars,corallinealgaeboosterset

Surfzone live sand activator plus

6 Mama mia worms

6 Baby bristle worms

PLUS: 6 Free MiniStars

PLUS: 2 Free Corals (our choice)

Back