what smells so bad????

saltman1120

i was cleaning my tank today and noticed that the water smells really really really bad!! what dopes this mean? i have lots of cyno algea groin all of a sudden too. what is causing this? i change water weekly lights on for 6 to 7 hours use a turkey baster to blow the rocks off once or twice a week about 400 gph of flow, feed lightly once in the morning. what could it be from.

30 gallon with 45 pounds of LR,its a skiltter 250 (skimmer,filter combo) the water parms are all zero ph at 8.2
7 fish,blood shrimp,sally crab,scotter blenny,4 diffrent mushrooms,bubble coral,2 other soft corals not sure the name polups,7 hermits,10 snails has been up for 9 months

with 7 fish i'd be willing to bet that you are overfeeding.Its better to feed tiny ammounts 2-3 times a day rather than a handfull once a day.

Tanks do create a smell factor in the home. Doing reg. water changes help. Add some carbon in a media bag in your sump/filter, and change your media floss if you have any like every week, that will help alot. Cut down on the feeding. Some corals and especially LR generate some foulness.

Also, what do you expect. You have a piece of the ocean in your living room. It may not smell like peaches.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12206812#post12206812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SSalty
Also, what do you expect. You have a piece of the ocean in your living room. It may not smell like peaches.

If is stinks like the ocean, There is something dead. I have found.

dead snails

dead snails

In the past, whenever I have noticed a smell or a bit of cyano...I usually can find a dead snail somewhere.

Check behind the tank, maybe some snails crawled out or a fish jumped out and its stinkin up behind the tank? Just a far fetched Idea...

Re: dead snails

Re: dead snails

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12206901#post12206901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Magnus6208
In the past, whenever I have noticed a smell. I usually can find a dead snail somewhere.

Same here. And when you remove the snail. WOW what a smell.
I had some very large turbos die, and it was nasty.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12206833#post12206833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sabbath
If is stinks like the ocean, There is something dead. I have found.

I agree--there is no odour coming from my tank at all

i just remembered about a big turbo in there ihavnt seen it in a while wonder if the sally got ahold of it? might have to to some searching tomar.

i second the dead snail smell. WOAH. worse than anything. Your biofilter can build up enough to handle a dead snail... mine did and i found it when it was already pretty rotten. good luck snail hunting... dont smell it when you take it out!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12208289#post12208289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReidiLoverLinds
dont smell it when you take it out!

How is he supposed to know if it's dead?? Give it a smell.

Back